Rainbow Shark With Mouth Problem?

mmanist

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a rainbow shark about 2.5 inches in my 35 gallon, I have been sick past few days and just noticed today that he has something wrong with his mouth, looks like it's pushed in or something, He also has two small white lines beside his eye which looks slightly swollen compared to the other side, it also looks like some of the color is rubbed away around his eye, and his bottem lip looks like it hangs just a tad lower. It don't really look like mouth rot, seems to clean, almost looks like he should have been born that way. I dont have a clue what happen or when it happen. Just happen to look at him today. He is still eating, swimming normal, he hides a little more than he usally does. Do you think he could of got into it with my raphael cats?? When I tested my water I noticed my Ammonia is high (I have been putting off my water changes for about 1 1/2-2weeks from being sick :sick: going to do a couple tomarrow after work)

Tank size:35G Hex
Using an API Master Test
pH:7.2
ammonia: .5 - 1 (
nitrite:0 ppm
nitrate: 0ppm
kH:n/a
gH:n/a
tank temp: 78-79 F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): deformed looking mouth area, white marks beside eye, looks like rub marks around the eye area

Volume and Frequency of water changes:30-40% WC every friday

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: aquasafe during water changes

Tank inhabitants:
2 Spotted Raphael Catfish (my favorites)
1 Rainbow Shark
3 Cory Cats
1 Swordtails
4 Platy
3 African Dwarf Frogs
5 Male Guppies
Some live plants

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):n/a

Exposure to chemicals:na/

Digital photo (include if possible):
DSC07466.jpg

DSC07464.jpg

Thanks
Megan

Has he bashed his mouth on anything in the tank.
Anything sharp in the tank.
Seen any fish fighting.
Does it look like the jaw dislocated, or broken.
The eye does it look like white specs on the eye.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
Does he swim with his mouth wide open if so check there nothing lodged in the mouth, or sores in the mouth.

You need to get that ammonia reading down by water changes.
As anybody been over feeding the fish.
Increase aeration with having an ammonia reading.

Has he bashed his mouth on anything in the tank.
Anything sharp in the tank.
Seen any fish fighting.
Does it look like the jaw dislocated, or broken.
The eye does it look like white specs on the eye.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
Does he swim with his mouth wide open if so check there nothing lodged in the mouth, or sores in the mouth.

You need to get that ammonia reading down by water changes.
As anybody been over feeding the fish.
Increase aeration with having an ammonia reading.

Yes, I'm deff going to get them WC's done today, I think my fiance might have over feed them while I have been sick. Im going to get my ammonia reading down before I do anything. Maybe lots of WC will get him better. Aeration has been increased.

There is nothing sharp in the tank, Dont look like its dislocated, Just pushed in and curled under, No flicking or rubbing, and his mouth is not stuck open, I checked on him this morning, He looks like he maybe getting better. His little whisker/feeler was actually sticking out like it should, where as last night it was stuck agianst his mouth. He was out as soon as I turned the lights on, and he was poking around looking for food. I love this little guy :blush: , I have had him for about a yr and rather not see anything happen to him. He has been prone to accidents since I had him, First week I had him, he jumped out of my tank into the back of the filter, and banged himself up a little. I havent noticed if there is any fighting, but I do know that when feeding comes around the rainbow shark gets a little aggresive and pushy, he likes to run the other fish away from the food.

If you need any other info let me know.

BTW this site is awsome!!!!

Bless him. Let me know how he gets on.
He might of just knocked his mouth and now its healing.

Bless him. Let me know how he gets on.
He might of just knocked his mouth and now its healing.

Thanks, But what about the white marks on his eye?? You think they are just scratch marks? When I get home I will try to take a better picture of the marks and his mouth so you can make sure its not mouth fungus, but I really dont think it is it just looks like its smashed.

White specs on eyes can be eye flukes.
Could he of scratched his eyes on plants in the tank.
Is the eye swollen or bulging out.

Signs of mouth fungus which is columnaris are as follows.
Fluffy cotton wool on mouth and lips.
Bleached out white lips.
Cotton strands coming from mouth area.
Mouth looks like its rotting away.

Do you have any ornaments in the tank he could of got trapped in and pulled himself out and scratch his eyes, and done some damage to his mouth.

White specs on eyes can be eye flukes.
Could he of scratched his eyes on plants in the tank.
Is the eye swollen or bulging out.

Signs of mouth fungus which is columnaris are as follows.
Fluffy cotton wool on mouth and lips.
Bleached out white lips.
Cotton strands coming from mouth area.
Mouth looks like its rotting away.

Last night his eye looked a bit swelled but not like pop eye, but maybe it was me (it was 1:00 am and I was a little groggy), there are two marks right beside each other, and its more like a line not a spot (not like what ich looks like). What is an eye fluke? And what causes it? Sorry Im asking so many Q's

With the eye and mouth and wondering if he's got stuck in an ornament.
Do you have any ornaments in the tank?

Eye Flukes (a.k.a. Eye Cloud)
Info taken from this link. http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases.htm

Symptoms:

Fish with this condition will have white specks inside the lens of the eye. This can lead to further damage, ranging from cloudiness of the eye to rupturing of the lens and blindness. In severe cases the eye may actually be pushed out and removed from the socket, leaving the fish eyeless.

Cause:

The larval stage of digenetic fluke parasites, such as Clinostomum, Posthodiplostomum and Diplostomum spathaceum. The parasite lodges in the lens, humour or retina of the fish’s eye. If present in large numbers, severe damage can occur. Minor infestations may go unnoticed. The life cycle of these flukes begins when fish-eating birds and other animals ingest fish infected with the parasites. Once ingested the parasites mature in the intestines of the host animal where they produce eggs. The eggs are then deposited into the water where they hatch and infect the livers of aquatic Snails. The parasites then develop into a second and third larval form before leaving the Snail to seek out a fish host. This type of parasitic infestation is most common in wild-caught fish and fish kept in ponds.

Treatment:

Treatment with Copper or Organophosphorous antiparasitic remedies have proven most beneficial. Prevention, however, works best. This entails avoiding any obviously infected fish, discouraging fish-eating birds from visitng your pond, and remving any snails from the aquarium or pond to end the cycle of infection (so as to interrupt the life cycle of the parasite).

Do you have any ornaments in the tank he could of got trapped in and pulled himself out and scratch his eyes, and done some damage to his mouth.

Nothing that I can think of....... I only have 2 fake plants and the rest are real. I use aquarium silicone on all my ornaments on the inside of them to fill in any gaps or ruff spots. Since I have african dwarf frogs, I try to keep the small spots sealed up so they dont get stuck.

If no improvement in a day or two get back to the board.
If you are worried try a bacterial med.

Nothing that I can think of....... I only have 2 fake plants and the rest are real. I use aquarium silicone on all my ornaments on the inside of them to fill in any gaps or ruff spots. Since I have african dwarf frogs, I try to keep the small spots sealed up so they dont get stuck.

Im starting to think he might have gotten into it with my raph, Because the shark will kinda head but him when they are eating. I will take some more pictures tonight when i get off work and post them. Maybe with a better shot you can get a better idea of whats going on. Here is a full shot of the tank, incase you see something that could be a hazard.

DSC07292.jpg

Sharks need alot of hiding spaces as they like there own territory.

Does it look like it healing the eye area.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back