FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Super Nova

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had a rainbow shark for 3 days now.. he still hasnā€™t turned fully black and he barely swims around. Heā€™s in one position floating for hours and Iā€™m concerned something is wrong. Iā€™ve seen him eating algae but ever so often.

My tank is 25l (I am aware this is small, I will upgrade to a bigger tank soon)
Iā€™ve had it set up for over a week before putting him in.
My nitrate level is 40mg/l
My nitrite level is around 0.5-1 mg/l
Everything else is perfectly controlled.
I am aware my nitrite level is high and I am in the process of trying to lower it, Iā€™ve added Aquarian salt and did a 30% water change yesterday.

Is there anything else I can do? Or any possible reason why heā€™s doing this? I am very worried that he will die if I donā€™t do anything soon.

Well.. couple hours later discovered he has come down with Fin rot.. my only worry is that I purchased him with this disease already present.. is this a possibility?

right so your problem is that the tank is uncycled. this causes severe stress any thus the fishes conditions deteriorate very quickly.

I found that my ammonia is quite high, I also got some treatment for the fin rot. Finally found out whatā€™s been going wrong and Iā€™m in the process of mending everything.

You'll need to be testing for ammonia and nitrite at least once a day, and you'll need to do enough water changes to keep them both as near to zero as possible; that might mean having to do more than one water change a day.

You really need to get this fish into a bigger tank ASAP. Keeping fish in tanks that are too small will stop them growing properly, leading to long term health issues; if the fish even survives that long. A larger volume of water will also mean that toxins take longer to build up a dangerous level.

And thus things are much easier to control and problems can be detected and prevented much earlier

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back