Rainbow Rock ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Amy86

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought some rainbow rock from pets at home which is obviously safe for the aquarium but i wondered whether it would affect PH??

it seemed very porous as when i was soaking it there were lots of bubbles and noises as it absorbed the water. its now in my tank which im fishless cycling at the moment, i also wondered if it will absorb ammonia and leach it out at a later date??

Thanks

Rainbow rock? I thought that stuff was made from some kind of resin, can you post a picture maybe?

Other than that, take the rock out and pour some vinegar on it, if it bubbles, then it will raise your pH.

You shouldn't have any troubles with it affecting your fishless cycle, the only thing it might change will be your pH. If it was sold as aquarium safe, it shouldn't do anything to your pH, but I'd do the vinegar test just to make sure.

from what I understand
rainbow rock is a man made faux rock comprised of a sand and
silicon reside that is created under pressure from a press.
it is perfectly aquarium safe and is also inert so should not effect any water parameters.

unless of course you mean rainbow calsilica
which is made up from mostly calcium and silica and will effect your pH.
but seeing as this rock is 'relatively' new to the world of geology and can only be found in
Mexico, I doubt you have any of it as the price is very high for it.

from what I understand
rainbow rock is a man made faux rock comprised of a sand and
silicon reside that is created under pressure from a press.
it is perfectly aquarium safe and is also inert so should not effect any water parameters.

unless of course you mean rainbow calsilica
which is made up from mostly calcium and silica and will effect your pH.
but seeing as this rock is 'relatively' new to the world of geology and can only be found in
Mexico, I doubt you have any of it as the price is very high for it.

i think its the man-made stuff then, i did the vinegar test last nite and it didnt fizz so i think its ok

Thanks for your help guys

Rainbow rock comes from Mexico it will not alter your Ph I have in my tank of African Cichlids

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back