Rainbow Fish, Couple Of Questions?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Phishy25

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am very interested in getting some rainbow fish once my new tank is established. I really like the Boseman rainbows.
Can anyone help with the following:

1. I hear they are best kept in groups?

2. What ratio is best? I would like either two pairs, 4 males, or 1 male, 3 females.

3.How do you sex this species?

4.Will they be ok with smaller community fish, such as neons and livebearers?

Also, my LFS sells blue rainbows. They are smaller, anyone have any info?

Many thanks :good:

I am very interested in getting some rainbow fish once my new tank is established. I really like the Boseman rainbows.
Can anyone help with the following:

1. I hear they are best kept in groups?

2. What ratio is best? I would like either two pairs, 4 males, or 1 male, 3 females.

Many thanks :good:

1) Yes 5 or more for the best interaction
2) I had 2 males and 3 female and was fine no problems
3) The males Boesman were bright yellow, the females were pretty much just silver
4) No, thats the main problem with them mine were completely brainless at feeding time, they ate anything in their way, tails, dorsals, anal fins the lot.
5) Dont know, never kept blue rainbows.

Generally by their coloration. The males will tend to have the vibrant colors, while the females are drab in comparison. As they get older, the males will also become larger/fuller, especially in height. Females are more slender.

Livebearers like mollies should be fine since they are of comparable size (at least big enough to not be eaten). Smaller fish like guppies will probably be eaten and fry are snacks.

Not sure which species it is. There is a M. Praecox that is called a dwarf neon, blue neon, etc. It's about 2-2.5 inches max. It's silvery and flashes with a blue hue from the scales, with red or yellowish fins (yellow fins are probably female, red are males). This is probably the one they have. It'll probably be fine with adult livebearers (guppies maybe questionable?).

There is also a turquoise rainbow, M. Lucastris (or something similar..I probably spelled it wrong), that is the same size as the bosemanis and has a nice blue/turquoise/green color with a white belly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back