Rainbow Cichlid eating eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nanoinmiami

Reaction score
Dear fellow members,

I come to the well yet again to ask for your advice.

I have a pair of Rainbow Cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa) that have yet to raise any fry after five spawns.

I have read on the Web that they are indeed finicky parents known to eat eggs and fry, but, as a point of reference, have a pair of Firemouths in another tank that have produced hundreds of fry and just had Pearl Gouramis spawn in the tank next to the Rainbows.

I have another Rainbow in another tank and have thought about placing it in there to act as a dither (the rainbow breeding tank is a 20 gallon)

When they are caring for the eggs they don't seem to bothered by my presence and actually beg for food when they see me coming.

What to do?

This is atypical for Cichlids and thinking I just have a bad pair. About to return the Rainbows to my LFS and try my hand with another species.

Thank you as always

no dont. keep persisting.

have you tried to remove the fry from the perents or vice versa. i know it is hard work but it is worth it.

no dont. keep persisting.

have you tried to remove the fry from the perents or vice versa. i know it is hard work but it is worth it.

Duh. Thanks Sean! Severe case of functional fixedness on my end. Will move the parents to another tank after spawning.

Is it a big deal if the parents don't fan the eggs from your experience?

Thanks again

if at all possible do let them fan the eggs until they are litterally about to hatch or have just hatched. otherwise there will be large number off eggs lost.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back