Rain water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

splasher72

Reaction score
I have been using rain water for my tank for about 2 weeks, this is by first set up.
What if any are the down falls of this, the water is collected from a large shed roof (plastic coated) to a water butt that is new last year.
I used to top up my pond with this, no pond now.

Rain water is pure and don't have any bad effects if you use this for drinking. But you have to be ensure that any dust come inside the water.

The danger of using rain water is that it is generally very soft (very little minerals in it) and acidic (thanks to acid rain). This isn't a big deal, AS LONG AS, the fish you choose to keep are naturally suited to soft, acidic water conditions. The water being soft, also means that the pH may be more prone to crashing as nitrates build up in the tank, so water changes are essential. But... that leads to yet another potential problem: not having enough rain water available when a water change is needed.

If I may make a suggestion, don't use 100% rain water for your tank. Instead use rain water to decrease the amount of tap water you need to use, maybe a 50/50 mix to keep the calculations simple, but any ratio would work as long as you are consistent. The tap water will be consistent in its water chemistry and (likely) offering you a bit of buffering ability to help maintain constant pH.

You would still want to stick to fish that prefer soft and acidic water, but the water would likely be a little less soft and a little less acidic. Your stocking options would still be best with South American fish or Southeast Asian fish.

I'll just add something to what eaglesaquarium posted, to do with your method of collecting.

Use a tub or similar container(s) out in the open. Do not use runoff water from a roof. While the plastic roof may avoid the chemicals associated with other types of roofing, it will still be a source of other contaminants like bird droppings, and excrement left by other critters like squirrels, raccoon, rats, etc. Collecting water in smaller containers reduces this, though you still need to be careful. Placing the tub in the open, rather than under any trees, etc, helps.

Some assume that because rain fills natural streams in which fish live, and bird and animal excrement must enter these, it doesn't matter, but it does. Within the artificial confines of any aquarium, even minute additives are magnified way beyond what they would be in nature where they would not even be noticed. So you need to take care.

Rainwater is an ideal water, if it is free of pollution, and obviously suited for soft water fish. I would use this myself, living in a temperate rainforest of sorts, if it were not for the fact that collecting sufficient water for my room of 8 tanks would be a nightmare. As eagles said, having water on hand for water changes, and any emergency changes, is important. But then, my tap water is basically rainwater (our reservoirs are in the Coastal Mountains) with chlorine added, so for all the effort, I would only manage to do away with a conditioner (dechlorinator). There would be other benefits of course; I bet my plants would thrive, the houseplants that only get rainwater certainly do.

Byron.

We use tank water for drinking here, Thats rain water that falls on the roof as rain and is collected in a huge tank without any problems. We have whats called a First Flush Water Diverter this gets rid of all that.

We have 2 x 5000 gallon tanks.

Thanks for all the reply's, if ever my new tank arrives I will try 50/50 as suggested and keep my fingers crossed.
So far my old tank is a joke, a plastic container from the local hardware shop with one gold fish rescued from the pond, he is only 2 inches long, when the weather improves he will be off to the collage pond.
Then I can start with tropical fish like neon's etc.
I used to have a tank but that was in 1969 then I got hitched and lived in a one bed flat (no pets allowed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back