Qustion About Lights And Air Pump

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ShifyShify

Reaction score
I have a 70l tank with about 4 or 5 plants and 6 zebra danios at the moment. The tank is fully cycled.
I was just wondering how long each day I should leave the lights and air pump on for ?

Thanks

Ive read from between 10 and 12 hours a day for the lights, and I dont know the official line, but our air pump is never off

Ive read from between 10 and 12 hours a day for the lights, and I dont know the official line, but our air pump is never off

What's the reason for leaving the light on? I rarely have it on for more than an hour each day. :S

If your tank is PLANTED then light a tank for about 10hrs a day (some people, me included also incorporate a lighting siesta as well).

Personally I do NOT think an airpump does anything what-so-ever for the oxygenation levels in the tank - in other words it is purely decorative and to this end does not matter how long it is on for... unless you have plants in which cas it should be OFF as it reduces surface CO2 absorbtion.

Andy

The lights on helps real plants and its supposed to help the colour of the fish, or something like that, I cant remember the exact details, but its about on here somewhere

Underwurlde is right, at least in some aspects...the airpump (with an airstone) does not put oxygen into the water itself, but rather promotes gas exhange of the water by aggitating the surface water. I would not know if this is good or bad for plants since I am by far not an expert on them.

IMO and IME, you can keep your lights on in the tank as much as you want, however you would have to think more about limiting lighting depending on how much algea is growing or if you are experiencing cynobacteria (blue/green algea) since these need light to grow and many people find that limiting the amount of time lights are on can have a direct effect on the algea growth....

However, I have read A LOT about how plants themselves can limit algea growth because they 'suck' the nutrients out of the water that the algea needs as well, creating a sort of competition for nutrients and plants typically win out.

So, in short, there is no definitive answer to your question, but I would suggest keeping them on for longer than an hour (with betta fish being the exception) for your plants of course, but less than for 24 hours since your fish will need a simulated 'night time' in order to rest and 'sleep'. This also is the time that most algea eaters are most active (plecos especially) and so you should think about turning the lights out if you are keeping any nocturnal fish.

The air pump is not necessary, unless you like "pretty" bubbles.

Plants need a photoperiod between 6 and 12 hours - 10 is fine. FYI plants need darkness too - to respire.

The air pump will drive off CO2 that the plants use but unless you have decent lighting the difference in leaving it running or not will be negligable.

4 or 5 plants will not impact on nutrients levels. Heavy planting is required for that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back