Reaction score
Hello,
I need Your advise
Temp. 30 C
Ph 7,4
Kh 5-6
Tank 500 l
I am using Api test.
I used some ceramic from old filter to accelerate process.
Last saturday i started my tank. I added 20 ml of ammonia.
It supposed to be about 4-5 ppm.
Today I have
Ammonia 0,5
No2 2-5 it is hard to judge
No3 40-80 it hard to judge
Should I add another 20 ml of ammonia or change water to bring down NO2 and than add ammonia.
Thanks for any advise.

Add ammonia to about 3ppm now, then wait for NO2 to come down.
If nitrite takes more than 4 days to come down then add a snack dose of 1ppm ammonia.
You shouldn't need a water change, your stats look good.  Tap water often contains nitrates so that's probably where the high nitrates have come from. 

Ok, thanks.
I will post new results in few days.

4-5 ppm is too many usually when you do not have seeding you know is at a needed minimum level for sure. You should have been testing every 2 days after adding the ammonia according to the cycling article here. You look well on your way to cycled though.

You should add the same dose of ammonia again now (except recalculate it using the site ammonia calc for a 450 L tank and for 4 ppm.)

You can now test daily. If you read 5 ppm on your nitrite kit, you will have have to do diluted testing to know exactly where your nitrite really is. You must use distilled or RO/DI water for the dilution. You must measure accurately. I normally tell people to fill a very clean measuring cup 1/2 full with tank water and then add the distilled or RO/DI to fill it the rest of the way. Then test as normal using this water and multiply the result by 2. If this still reads 5, then you need to remove enough water from the measuring cup so only 1/2 cup remains of the 50/50 water. Then fill the cup with distilled or RO/DI and test as normal using this mix. Multiply the test result by 4.

The danger line is at over 16 ppm. That would be a reading of 4 ppm on the second level of diluted testing. At this level change about 30% of the water.

You may add a 1/3 dose of the recalculated ammonia amount every 3 days as long as the nitrite is not over 10 ppm and there has been 0 ammonia for at least two days in a row.

When your ammonia is 0 and nitrite on the straight up test is clearly under 1 ppm, add the recalculated ammonia amount. Ff you can test the next day (under 24 hours) and ammonia and nitrite are both 0, you are cycled. Do a big water change, get the tank to temp and add a full load of fish. Ff they are not 0/0, wait until they are 0 and under 1.0 and dose the same amount again and test the next day. This time you should see 0/0 more than likely.

Thanks for your tips.
I was testing water every day and since 2nd day I had very high NO2.
Yesterday ammonia was 3ppm, today at 12.00 1ppm and now at 21.00 is 0ppm.
So I will add full dose now as you suggested and try to verify NO2 level using RO water.
Ammonia is going down very quickly. The only problem is NO2.

Edit
I did 50/50 and again 50/50 x 4 and it looks like 8ppm max 10ppm of NO2, hard to judge.
So I am adding full dose of ammonia and I will be testing every day

In theory the ammonia should drop fairly fast. it is a coin toss how much nitrite rises. You would appear to have close to all the ammonia bacs but are now working on the nitrite ones. Adding the ammonia may or may not push nitrite to high. That is because the single biggest benefit of seeding a tank with bacteria is the presence of the nitrite bacs. Normally there is nirtie as soon as ammonia starts to go down. With very few nitrite backs it takes a bunch of time for them to reproduce. Nitrite climbs quite high before the bacreia even begin to gain the upper hand. With seed bacteria there are nitrite bacs there just waiting for their lunch. And they go to work as soon as the first nitrite is available. And they start to reproduce from a bigger base as well. All this greatly shortens the cycle.

Hi
Todays results
After full dose of ammonia last night, now is 0 ppm again
Nitrite now sky high, I cant even measure it with 50/50 and again 50/50. It looks like 8 or 20 ppm (dont really see the difference between 2ppm and 5ppm, both colours look very simillar on api test)
What to do now?

Edit
I did one more test of nitrite 50/50 x 3 and I have about 2ppm
Nitrate is above 80 ppm but less than 160ppm

If you think there is any chance it is over 16 ppm, do a water change and retest to be sure. Try a 25% change. If that isn't enough do another.

Ok
I will do 25% first.
So I need to bring down nitrite below 16 ppm.
After water change and when nitrite will be below 16ppm, should I add 1/3 dose of ammonia.
What to do next few days?
Thank you

At what reads as 16 ppm your are slowing the cycle and starting to kill bacteria instead of having them reproduce. Think of it as big bright red line you do not wish to be anywhere near and for sure you do not wish to cross. If you are over that line and do a water change to get back under, adding ammonia is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Use common sense and you can figure it out :)

As I explained to you above :

You may add a 1/3 dose of the recalculated ammonia amount every 3 days as long as the nitrite is not over 10 ppm and there has been 0 ammonia for at least two days in a row.

Thank you for your help.
My only worry is ammonia bucks.
How long they can survive without food (ammonia).
Will they be fine if I do 30% water change and feed them in 2 days with 1/3 of recalculated dose of ammonia?

Depends on what you mean by survive. In a bottle at room temp with no food, oxygen or carbon they will be pretty much be good to go for 6 months. Kept refrigerated, about one year.

Kept moist and not frozen or heated above about 104 F, some number in a colony can last for years.

Ok thanks, you are real proffessinal.
I will be testing water every day and if NO2 will drop down in few days I will add 1/3 of ammonia.
This tank 500 l gross will be for 12 discus, so biology has to really strong.
Do you have any more more tips for me.
Thanks again for help.

After few days I have after adding full dose of ammonia
In 24 h 0 ammonia
In 28 h 0 nitrite.
Am I good to go with fish or need to wait few more days until nitrite will be zero after 24 h?

Today after 24h I have:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0,1
Is my tank ready or should I keep adding full dose of ammonia?
It was my 3rd full dose.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back