Question on my Black Fin or Black Skirt Terta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ckitefly

Reaction score
Okay so.... about two weeks ago my Platy had fry and at the time, I had questions on what to do about it. Got tons of advice and all is good still on the two fry I was able to save and they are starting to get a bit of color.

However, doing my routine water change last night, I found that one of my Tetra looks very plump. It's hard to see from the picture but she is definitely wider then the others. Someone said she can be ready to lay eggs. (OMG) I can't seem to grasp that since I just went through this with the Platy and I've had my Tetras for over a year and this is the first time I've seen this one like this. She is the biggest out of the 4. Is it possible after a year she can be pregnant for the first time? Someone also said it can be parasites. If that is the case, how would I know or what should I do ? I don't want to infect the others. Is there something I can put in the water for parasites?

Attachments

• Terta.IMG_0614.jpg
    Terta.IMG_0614.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 476
If one fish has a disease then all the fish in the tank have the disease. But Don't treat for parasites/ diseases unless you know what the problem is.

The fish in the picture is very fat and depending on how long it took to get fat will determine if it is eggs or an internal infection.
If the fish is eating well and doing normal poop, and has gradually become fat over a month or so it is probably eggs.

If the fish got fat over a few days 24-48hours, then it is most likely an internal bacterial or protozoan infection. These also cause the fish to do stringy white poop, and their scales often (but not always) stick out from the body.

For intestinal worms the fish usually lose weight. Although with fish that are heavily infested with thread/ round worms like Camallanus, the fish can get fat over a period of months but you usually see small red hair like things (about 2mm long) sticking out the fishes butt.

If the fish is eating normally and swimming around normally, and didn't suddenly get fat overnight, then leave her be. You can try doing big 75-80% water changes each day for a week to stimulate breeding. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

And you can increase or decrease the temperature a few degrees to stimulate breeding.

If the fish do breed they will scatter eggs among plants and leave them. After a few days the eggs hatch and tiny fry appear and hang on the sides of the tank. The eggs and fry will probably be eaten by the other fishes in the tank.

If the fish does have eggs and does not breed, it will become egg bound and never be able to breed. then you won't have to worry about eggs from her.

If the fish does have eggs and does not breed, it will become egg bound and never be able to breed. then you won't have to worry about eggs from her.

Right and wrong.

If she is loaded with eggs and does not spawn the eggs should be reabsorbed by the fish, if they are not reabsorbed or expelled by the fish the eggs will literally rot inside her, this will weaken the fish and it will eventually kill her.

Usually the best treatment for egg bound fish is to cut down feedings to encourage re-absorption

Please note I am not saying the fish is egg bound just correcting wrong information.

Last edited:
If one fish has a disease then all the fish in the tank have the disease. But Don't treat for parasites/ diseases unless you know what the problem is.

The fish in the picture is very fat and depending on how long it took to get fat will determine if it is eggs or an internal infection.
If the fish is eating well and doing normal poop, and has gradually become fat over a month or so it is probably eggs.

If the fish got fat over a few days 24-48hours, then it is most likely an internal bacterial or protozoan infection. These also cause the fish to do stringy white poop, and their scales often (but not always) stick out from the body.

For intestinal worms the fish usually lose weight. Although with fish that are heavily infested with thread/ round worms like Camallanus, the fish can get fat over a period of months but you usually see small red hair like things (about 2mm long) sticking out the fishes butt.

If the fish is eating normally and swimming around normally, and didn't suddenly get fat overnight, then leave her be. You can try doing big 75-80% water changes each day for a week to stimulate breeding. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

And you can increase or decrease the temperature a few degrees to stimulate breeding.

If the fish do breed they will scatter eggs among plants and leave them. After a few days the eggs hatch and tiny fry appear and hang on the sides of the tank. The eggs and fry will probably be eaten by the other fishes in the tank.

Thank you so much for the reply and information.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back