Question about platies and swordtails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlphinaNovaStar

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting more fish when I get a new filter for my tank. I am thinking of getting some platies and swordtails. My question is do they care that they are not the same type of fish? Basically will the swordtail mate a platy or the other way around. Also would both make good tank mates for my guppies? I know I need more Cory fish but can I introduce platies and swordtails to the tank and keep the harmony?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before we can recommend fish we need to know your water specs. Specifically if your water is hard or soft (Platies need hard water). Also the size of your tank would be helpful.

Last edited:
Agree with snork6, we can advise further when we have the data. But in the interim, I can answer your question about platy and swordtail breeding.

The scientific nomenclature (naming) of species is a clue to much about the species. The platy and swordtail species are all in one genus, Xiphophorus; this name is derived from the Greek xipho (sword) and phorus (bearer), an obvious reference to the sword-like tail of the male swordtails. There are 28 distinct species in the genus Xiphophorus native to areas of Belize, Guatemala, Honduras and (primarily) Mexico. Most aquarium fish have been developed from three species, Xiphophorus hellerii (green swordtail), X. maculatus (southern platyfish) and X. variatus (variable platyfish).

Xiphophorus hellerii, the green swordtail, is the type species of this genus; ”type species” of a genus refers to the species that has all the physiological characteristics which separate it from all species in other genera. Today, the type species is usually the first species bearing the characteristics to be described by science. All species subsequently included within the genus will share all these characteristics.

Because the species are in the same genus, they will cross-breed. This is how the many colour varieties of swordtail have been artificially bred.

Byron.

My tank is 55 gallons. I went to petsmart to get some platies that were on sale for a dollar but those were sold out. I saw a pair of black mollies on sale for two dollars each and of course they came home with me.

If I have mollies does that mean I cannot get swordtails or platies?

My tank is 55 gallons. I went to petsmart to get some platies that were on sale for a dollar but those were sold out. I saw a pair of black mollies on sale for two dollars each and of course they came home with me.

If I have mollies does that mean I cannot get swordtails or platies?

You can combine various livebearers (mollies, platies, swordtails). Just be aware that males will breed with females of their own species if both are present, and in some cases cross-species. Swordtail and platy can cross-breed.

Keeping only males ensures you will not have masses of fry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back