Question About Betta Smaragdina Female...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Finally back into fish keeping after a few years away - yay! My question is:

I've kept Betta Smaragdinas before and just purchased a pair last week of what I and 2 other guys at the shop thought were a male and female. They have settled in quite nicely and I know the bigger of the 2 is definitely male as he is coloring up and has already built a large bubble nest under some oak leaves. The other one is smaller and less colorful but the male seems to always chase her away if he spots her. I'm starting to wonder if she actually is a female as I cannot see an ovipositor. But since she is still a juvenile I was wondering if it may take awhile until this developes?

Thanks!

Females should have an ovispore by 1", it could be that the male sees it as a juvenile and as such is worried about it disturbing the nest. The female should also be showing breeding bars if she's ready to breed. If there's no ovispore or breeding bars, you got yourself another male on your hands.

Yep you were right it's turned out to be a male!! I'll be taking him back and getting a female. He's finally just started coloring up and the bigger male is not liking him in his space. Lots of wood and plants so both are able to hide away. Ugh, not the outcome I wanted!

Most reactions

trending

Back