Question About Adding Salt To Molly\platy Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LRPRESTO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a tank with mollies, platies and a few guppies too. My question is.... when adding aquarium salt to the tank, (I desolved in a cup of water first) does it hurt them to get the concentrated salt water on them? I tried to distract them while I poured it in but a couple of them swam into it. (I was just wondering if anyone who was a fish in a past life remembers if that hurts or not) :fish: :cool:

aslong as its disolved first it should be ok but if your just pouring the grains into the tank then it could harm the platies

aslong as its disolved first it should be ok but if your just pouring the grains into the tank then it could harm the platies

I disagree. As long as you are not overdosing the tank to begin with, the salt should readily dissolve into the tank. There is no need to dissolve it before hand. The fish is going to get out of the way if you're dumping salt on it.

I disagree. As long as you are not overdosing the tank to begin with, the salt should readily dissolve into the tank. There is no need to dissolve it before hand. The fish is going to get out of the way if you're dumping salt on it.
hi guys i do the same i just spoon it in

won't they try to eat it if you just spoon it in? I thought I read somewhere that salt can cause burns on fish if not desolved but I notice at fish stores tehy just put a cup filled with salt in the tank and let it sit like that. Why do they do that?

Could you explain more? The dosage for salt in an aquarium should actually be pretty low, and unless you had a huge tank you wouldn't see a cup.

well just dumping it in the tank causes more of a risk then disolving it first. it takes literally 3 mins to stir it with warm water to disolve it. and yes thats why it is best to disolve it first platies will try to nibble anything that sinks past them and if they ate the salt then thats one dead platy for you. salt will also burn the fish scales if it touches them so disolve it .

No i completely disagree dont dissolve it first. Pouring the grains is the best thing to do. It will slowly release the salt as it dissolves. If you dissolve it before hand, they are getting a fast rush of electrolytes into the tank. Always pour it directly in.

""""won't they try to eat it if you just spoon it in? I thought I read somewhere that salt can cause burns on fish if not desolved but I notice at fish stores tehy just put a cup filled with salt in the tank and let it sit like that. Why do they do that?"""""

not at all, fish are not that retarded, if it is burning their mouths, they won't nibble at it. Just like if they see poop floating around and nibble at it, they notice it tatses bad and discard it, they don't keep trying to eat it. Also I've never had a fish nibble at the salt I throw in once it touches the bottom.

I have concern for the platies. They are hardy, but they're not freshwater fish for nothing. Add the salt small amount at a time, too much at a time will harm the fish.

This is an old thread. BUT... you are correct. Do not add aquarium salt to the tank.

Liverbearers do not require salt, they require water HARDNESS. And whenever adding salt, it is ALWAYS best to dissolve it first, though it should only be used as a remedy for a problem, not a general tonic.

Most reactions

trending

Back