Purple Coral Eating Flatworm Invasion

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

milkton

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, recently there has been an invasion of purple flatworms that attach onto all my corals (mushrooms, euphilliya's, leathers. etc..) The corals dont look like they are being harmed as they are not retracting or anything. However im pretty sure its not benefitting the coral either. How do i get rid of these flatworms? I cant siphon them out because they are attached onto the euphillias which will rip off the coral's tentacles and they have extremely good grip. I heard of using flatworm Exit but ppl say dead flatworms release toxins in the tank... I also have 2 wrasses for control: kuiters wrasse and black leapord wrasse which arent doing a good job at controlling whatsoever... What should i do??? :shout:

Thanks

Hi, recently there has been an invasion of purple flatworms that attach onto all my corals (mushrooms, euphilliya's, leathers. etc..) The corals dont look like they are being harmed as they are not retracting or anything. However im pretty sure its not benefitting the coral either. How do i get rid of these flatworms? I cant siphon them out because they are attached onto the euphillias which will rip off the coral's tentacles and they have extremely good grip. I heard of using flatworm Exit but ppl say dead flatworms release toxins in the tank... I also have 2 wrasses for control: kuiters wrasse and black leapord wrasse which arent doing a good job at controlling whatsoever... What should i do??? :shout:

Thanks

Ugh what a horrible problem.
I would suggest flatworm exit, but you are correct they can release toxins which is why you want to get as many out as possible before using it. For the corals, I suggest using a coral dip (like coral revive). Swish the corals around in it and they should go jumping off the corals! I would then siphon out any that are not attached to corals, then use the flatworm exit. Do it when you have plenty of time to watch over your tank. As they die, I would siphon them out. After you think they are all gone, run some carbon and perhaps do a water change.

Good luck :)
May I also suggest dipping all new coral in a coral dip before putting in your tank, it can really help to prevent nasty little buggers like these guys.

Yeah, syphon them bad boys out that you can without killing anything, then get ready for a BIG water change before you put in the flatworm exit. Be running carbon the whole time too.

Don't want to run carbon with the flatworm exit... You'll just end up sucking it right back out. Run it afterwards.

Okay, thanks for the info guys. So right now im considering it but is this the only way of controlling and killing these flatworms? And is the flatworm exit reef safe?? Cause i really dont want to add chemicals in the DT. Too bad i cant siphon them out easily either :angry:

Okay, thanks for the info guys. So right now im considering it but is this the only way of controlling and killing these flatworms? And is the flatworm exit reef safe?? Cause i really dont want to add chemicals in the DT. Too bad i cant siphon them out easily either :angry:

It is reef safe... Just have to keep an eye out. We have used it on our reef tanks at work numerous times.
Only other way would be to get a predator of them and hope it eats them. Something like a sixline wrasse would probably be your best bet.

ok thanks nemo, just 1 more question, have any one tried the blue velvet headshield nudibranches - click me?? Is it true that if they die, they release toxins that will wipe out your tank?

Never had one personally, know people who have. They "get lost" very easily and don't seem to really have a good survival rate from what i've seen. By getting lost I mean going into the overflow, filter, skimmer, powerhead etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back