Pure Ammonia for Cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rdd1952

Swim with the Fishes
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have been to the grocery store but all they have is clear ammonia. Is that the same as pure ammonia?

Check the contents, only water and ammonia (could also be ammonium hydroxide). No perfumes, no dyes, no soaps. If the bottle is clear, shake it -- if it foams, it is not what you want. If the contents include a 'chelating agent', that is fine, it is added to help keep the water and ammonia in solution. But anything else could be dangerous, and you don't want to take chances.

If your grocery stores' ammonia doesnt cut it, though I am loathe to say it, Wal-Mart normally has undyed unperfumed ammonia. It is in clear bottle with a purple label. Otherwise, you might have to go to a chemical supply store/company.

Edit: you can also add some flake food each day -- as it breaks down ammonia will be produced. But the scientist in me likes to know exactly how many mL each day I added, not just 'a pinch.' ;)

I checked 2 grocery stores. One had clear ammonia with not ingredient label so I definitely didn't buy that. The other contained a surfactant which is not good. As much as I hate to go to WalMart, I will try there tomorrow.

I hate WalMart because of the lines. It's always packed, can't find parking, takes forever to get checked out.

It is packed cause you can find things there that u cant find at other places. i.e. pure ammonia :blink:

Sea Mist or the sams club purple label that is the 2 brands of ammonia carried, that are great for fishless cycle

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back