Pump question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok, so my diy python to my bathroom sink has to have the water left on to siphon at all. However, it still doesn't seem that strong as it can take a little fidgeting with the hose at the tank's end to get it to start going. Length to sink is just over 50ft....lol.

Now, also on the tank end I've made a pvc drain thing like Rachel o'leary made so the hose is not in the tank at all, just the pipes for different tanks so no cross contamintaion. (I have a different hose to fill the tanks, that part is fine.)

So...is there any kind of, in line pump that I could say, toss in the sink or bathtub to do the siphon instead of the water in the sink? This is for draining. I know I've seen people using pumps in the tank to push it out through a hose, but I don't want one pump going to multiple tanks. I just wasn't sure if there was anything like this out there? Hopefully my question isn't too confusing! Lol.

i use a 50 foot python and the suction at the tank is very strong,

i never really understood why people want to DIY with the python, just buy one....if you consider all the use you get out of them over the years, they are well worth the money.....

i have had mine for 25 YEARS!!....i bought it in 1992!!

they last forever....can't remember what i paid for it, maybe 50 bucks?.....so thats 2 dollars a year!!!

i use a 50 foot python and the suction at the tank is very strong,

i never really understood why people want to DIY with the python, just buy one....if you consider all the use you get out of them over the years, they are well worth the money.....

i have had mine for 25 YEARS!!....i bought it in 1992!!

they last forever....can't remember what i paid for it, maybe 50 bucks?.....so thats 2 dollars a year!!!

I actually used Python parts mostly, it was the hose I wanted cheaper. Lol. In the long run I could have bought two....but hey, it still works. And yours may have good suction, but my water pressure isn't always up to par, hence why I'm asking about a pump for draining. That and so I'm not wasting water. I want to set up a couple of 55 gallons so I'm looking for something a bit better for suction.

I use an Eco 396 submersible pump (about $20 on amazon) that I lower into the aquarium to pump water out either to the kitchen sink or the front lawn/flower bed. If/when I refill from the sink, I have a faucet adapter and pump right back through the unplugged pump into the tank. Normally however, I pre-filter my well water (due to high nitrates) so I setup an 18g sterlite bin and use the same pump to pump the filtered water back into the tank. It works great!
I liked the pump so much I bought another one for the 4-stage DIY bucket trickle filter I built for the turtle pond in the basement.

Note: These pumps can be used as either submersible or inline, however in this case, submersible is easier since to use it inline would require some effort to prime.

Something like this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-...shless-Fountain-Aquarium-Hot/32817439478.html

DC-12V-24W-420LPH-5-2M-Small-Water-Pump-Pipe-Booster-Inline-Brushless-Fountain-Aquarium-Hot.jpg

I use an Eco 396 submersible pump (about $20 on amazon) that I lower into the aquarium to pump water out either to the kitchen sink or the front lawn/flower bed. If/when I refill from the sink, I have a faucet adapter and pump right back through the unplugged pump into the tank. Normally however, I pre-filter my well water (due to high nitrates) so I setup an 18g sterlite bin and use the same pump to pump the filtered water back into the tank. It works great!
I liked the pump so much I bought another one for the 4-stage DIY bucket trickle filter I built for the turtle pond in the basement.

Note: These pumps can be used as either submersible or inline, however in this case, submersible is easier since to use it inline would require some effort to prime.

So would something like this not be a real viable option? how long do you thing it would take for suction to start do you think?

Well, almost like that. This one said though it can't be dry run so may not work for what I need? Basically starting dry until the water comes through the hose to be drained.

So would something like this not be a real viable option? how long do you thing it would take for suction to start do you think?

Just hook it up on the tank side of the hose and lower the pump into the tank. When you've removed the amount of water you want, unplug it and refill from your sink Python connector right through the pump - works great!

Just hook it up on the tank side of the hose and lower the pump into the tank. When you've removed the amount of water you want, unplug it and refill from your sink Python connector right through the pump - works great!

This is what I don't want to do, putting the pump in multiple tanks. I dont want cross contamination at all. I'd like a pump at the other end to just create suction and suck the water out. And I'd rather buy just one pump. Lol.

There are dry pumps for this too. I looked into this last summer, as I thought it would save water if I could drain the tanks directly outside to the tubs in the garden from which I then water the garden [rather than using the Python that runs fresh tap water plus the tank water down the drain, quite a waste]. I didn't get one, as I decided I could continue my pail method to drain out water for a while longer rather than spend $100 to #200 on a pump, but you may find them cheaper in the US (I'm in Canada).

This is what I don't want to do, putting the pump in multiple tanks. I dont want cross contamination at all. I'd like a pump at the other end to just create suction and suck the water out. And I'd rather buy just one pump. Lol.

Unless you'll use a different hose for each tank, there is no real difference. Assuming you have a good quarantine practice for new fish, none of your tanks should be contaminated (at least mine aren't). And if you were really concerned (I'm not) you could easily sterilize the pump in a mild bleach solution. Alternatively, this pump would work inline if you first create a siphon. This can easily be done using a quick disconnect and a little suction.

There are dry pumps for this too. I looked into this last summer, as I thought it would save water if I could drain the tanks directly outside to the tubs in the garden from which I then water the garden [rather than using the Python that runs fresh tap water plus the tank water down the drain, quite a waste]. I didn't get one, as I decided I could continue my pail method to drain out water for a while longer rather than spend $100 to #200 on a pump, but you may find them cheaper in the US (I'm in Canada).

Does everyone that has a Python know that once the siphon is started, the faucet can be turned off???

Do you know what brand or at least what I would Google to search for a pump? Just external pump? I tried looking this morning and didn't have much luck.

Unless you'll use a different hose for each tank, there is no real difference. Assuming you have a good quarantine practice for new fish, none of your tanks should be contaminated (at least mine aren't). And if you were really concerned (I'm not) you could easily sterilize the pump in a mild bleach solution. Alternatively, this pump would work inline if you first create a siphon. This can easily be done using a quick disconnect and a little suction.

Does everyone that has a Python know that once the siphon is started, the faucet can be turned off???

I made the pvc hooks that Rachel o'leary showed on a video. So those are separate for each tank and I hook the hose up to that. I have one hose for draining and another for filling. So it keeps everything seperate. Nothing is in the tank but the ends of those pipes. I mostly want this as a just in case as I've dealt with cross contamination and I don't want it to happen again.

Also, I knew about shutting the water off. When I first set it up, I started the suction and turned the water off after it was going good. Well, no more suction. It's just over a 50ft hose and the tanks right now are probably sink level or lower. This may be part of the problem. The 55s will be a bit higher but I'd still like something so I don't waste my water on draining tanks.

Well as I mentioned, the Eco 396 (@ $23) would work just fine in-line...it's just not meant to be run dry. So with a shut off valve and a couple of quick disconnects you start the siphon with your Python, then switch to the pump!
Then again....(just thinking out loud)
But I'm curious...you say there's a height issue between the tanks and the bathroom sink...but does the bathroom have a tub, shower, or toilet? They would all be low(er) enough for the siphon to work (thinking outside the box).
I think I'd get a quick disconnect and shut off for the Python hose, get the siphon started with the Python sink adapter, shut off, insert the hose under the toilet seat/lid, and turn the shut off back on. It should work fine without the additional [pump] hardware. Oh, it might be a bit slower, but there's no real rush!

I have done this and the flow from the tank into the sink, with the tap off, is barely a trickle. It would take hours to drain a tank. If the tank is above the level of the sink so gravity is stronger, as down a floor of the house, it should work better, but my tanks and the sink are on the same level, The laundry sink is the only one with a faucet with the necessary threads capability, and the Python is 75 feet.

Well as I mentioned, the Eco 396 (@ $23) would work just fine in-line...it's just not meant to be run dry. So with a shut off valve and a couple of quick disconnects you start the siphon with your Python, then switch to the pump!
Then again....(just thinking out loud)
But I'm curious...you say there's a height issue between the tanks and the bathroom sink...but does the bathroom have a tub, shower, or toilet? They would all be low(er) enough for the siphon to work (thinking outside the box).
I think I'd get a quick disconnect and shut off for the Python hose, get the siphon started with the Python sink adapter, shut off, insert the hose under the toilet seat/lid, and turn the shut off back on. It should work fine without the additional [pump] hardware. Oh, it might be a bit slower, but there's no real rush!

So basically, that pump really can't start itself though....would the pump be already connected inline while the Python is attached to the sink? If so...I would need a shutoff valve between the sink connection and the pump? That way the hose to the tank is filled with water?

Another thing I was thinking....I'm not sure it can be done....is I do have a double shower head, one of which is hand held. My current brass python adapter does NOT fit it. Do you think there is one that does? Then at least I could attempt to try to start a siphon in the tub that's a little lower. (My living room has a step down into it, and the tanks are low as well...lol).

I would try this in my kitchen sink which is the next room over....but I have a portable dishwasher adapter attached to that and it was hard enough to tighten in the first place. I don't want to mess with it. Lol.

To drain the tank have you tried disconnecting from the Python faucet adapter after the siphon has started and placing the hose in the tub or the toilet (much lower)??? Then for the refill you hook it back to the Python adapter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back