puffer puffing?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ingo_1978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Once a puffer has puffed once does it make the puffer more susceptable to puffing again?

Basically what happen was my tank cracked and water started pouring out... I had to quickly fish him out and transfer him to my snail tank at which point he puffed. That night I had to buy a new tank and transfer everything across.

Since then he doesn't seem himself, hidding most the time, camoflaging himself against a dark green plant I have in there. If I spook him accidentally he sometimes puffs up and swims round the tank fully puffed :(

I hope he doesn't stay like this now, he is only young ( 1" GSP)

Did the puffer puff in the air or in water. If it is in the air I believe it can cause some damage to the puffer, if not it shouldn't have any negative effects. The reason you try to avoid puffing is because it's a defense mechanism for when they feel threatened or stressed which isn't conducive to keeping a pet well.

The shock of the change may have upset him a bit and he's still calming down. How long since the first tank cracked?

It's over two weeks now... he didn't take any air in as I think he would be floating on the top.

Will just have to keep an eye on him I suppose :thumbs:

It probably made him more aware of what was going on around him, and for that reason is more likely to puff up now :)

I guess its to be compared with a toddler and a hot oven. It will accidently touch it once, and from then on keep its eyes open to not touch hot ovens again :) The puffer probably didnt realise What made the tank crack and caused all the commotion, so is not simply careful with everything that goes on :)

Give him rest, dont mess around with the tank too much ... and I think that in a couple of months, he'll be getting back to his old self.

Erised said:
It probably made him more aware of what was going on around him, and for that reason is more likely to puff up Give him rest, dont mess around with the tank too much ... and I think that in a couple of months, he'll be getting back to his old self.
Good advice.

It's simply stressed him and made him mistrustful of his enviroment.

a period of peace & quiet with no excitement will do him wonders.

This post was most interesting to me. I have a beautiful puffer fish in a 35 gallon planted tank. He is about 6 inches in length. Other than when he stuffs himself on too many crawdads and his belly hangs down with too much food I have not seen him puff ever. I have had friends come over and ask me to make him puff up. I explained that he only does it when he is distressed. After reading this I feel confident that my puffer is doing well and is quite happy. He is very aware of all people in the house and responds in a friendly manner to visitors that stand and stare at him.

I am sure after two weeks that if there was anything really wrong with your puffer you would see more signs than what you are seeing. I think everyone that posted is correct in that it will just take some time for him to readjust to his new tank and let the trauma of the past be forgotten. I hope you will post again to let us know how he is doing...

He seems to be getting worse, if I put my face too close to the tank he runs to the other side puffing up!!! I think my cat might has been traumatising him as I have put the new tank on a big table, as it was the old table being a few millimeters too small which cracked my first tank. I think she has be sat on the table tapping on the glass. Either that or my puffer must find me ugly!! :unsure: :no: :-(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back