Product Review Directory

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seth

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think there should be a product review area. So like if the underground filters arnt as good as they lead on to be then youll know. But if the bio-wheel is good then we will know. So you can know your items before making the purchase. does anyone feel the sameway?

Several years ago a fishforum started a thread and, because they got bad service there, began to bash the lfs. Several other unhappy members joined. The owner eventually sued the group and won. The decision was published ( I can't remember the site link).

Indeed, information placed online can be used as evidence and, as such, I do not think a product review, per se is a good idea. HOWEVER, I think a product SPECS thread is fine, listing eg a particular pump, what this gph is, what size tank it is good for, etc, is OK and could be pinned.

What I think would be optimal, is to get these manufacturers in as sponsor companies under Williams new sponsor section and use this to ask forum to ask question, troubleshoot, etc. SH

What I think would be optimal, is to get these manufacturers in as sponsor companies under Williams new sponsor section and use this to ask forum to ask question, troubleshoot, etc. SH

I agree with you SH. But I have noticed one thing. I've seen other forums where this is done, and it's a great idea in theory, but those sections tend to be FULL of questions with very little answers. There's very little traffic, you can almost see the tumble weed a blowin'. It's like they get the sponsorship and run before members get a chance to ask questions. But I think this is very much due to companies being spread too thin by sponsoring too many forums, you can't donate your full attention to each and every one, so somebody suffers. I really don't think this will happen, however, here at TFF. William is very attentive, and he'll certainly be on top of things. This forum is large, but it still has a "small forum" feel to it, which is great.

Several years ago a fishforum started a thread and, because they got bad service there, began to bash the lfs. Several other unhappy members joined. The owner eventually sued the group and won. The decision was published ( I can't remember the site link).

Jeeze, Consumer Reports Magazine must be in major legal trouble then!!! :huh:

Consumer Reports bases their comments on results of studies. Published data is not hearsay or libel. Big difference. Suzuki sued them over results they published on the risk of rollover of one of their SUV'sd and the court found in favor of CR.

Big difference between stomping your foot and saying Xcompany's filter s***ks vs. we tested 100 filters and here are our results and ratings. SH

Actually, he did not win. Most of the suits were either settled out of court, dismissed or never made it to the courts. Plus the guy was/is a lawsuit happy litigator but it's a dead issue. No one in authority here or most other fish boards is brave enough to stand up against companies with earned bad reputationss even though there has been one case of a lawsuit, from a guy who's got a series of questionable lawsuits going on.

Now everyone cowers in fear of being sued because the members want to speak up and say a company mistreated them. This in the face that it could be an exception, and other people can say they had good history with them. I can name a dozen companies that have been given mixed reviews by people in the past and it has not caused any lawsuits to spring up and it turned out the company in question was not unreliable, but there was an exception to the rule. Still, there are those who have a history of poor reputation but you don't get to hear about it because of this very fear of lawsuits.

No one here seems to bat an eye when PetCo, PetSmart, Pets At Home, WalMart, etc are bashed and sometimes it's encouraged. It's just fine to praise and comment on how some companies do good though. Double standard if you ask me. And personal experience with a company is not hearsay or libel if you're speaking the truth about your personal experience with their service, but that's another often ignored detail. I would like to note, I understand how it would not be good if there was bad publicity for sponsors, but I've never heard bad things about the ones we have now so it's not really a concern IMO. The below is the link you were unable to find.

http://www.petsforum.com/psw/

No doubt the discussion is closed (literally soon I suspect) but at least I made my point.

I believe that IS the link. I agree with most of what you say and also agree that simply posting one's experience about a product is not libel or hearsay. The problem here is that some people may not post responsibily. Whatever the legal outcome, it still costs dollars to have to hire an attorney to defend oneself in a court of law. SH

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back