Prepping Tank For A Hurricane

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Souperman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
With being in the possible path of hurricane Irma I was wondering if there was anything I need to have incase I have to evacuate to give my fish the best chance of making it while I am gone for a few days?

Feed them well then the day before you leave do not feed them as much as they need to get used to it.Have it in a safe spot,Hopefully power doesn't go off.You got a generator or a backup or something that you could use just incase the eletricity bites the dust?

Can you give us some more details on your set up, please?

How big is the tank, exactly what fish do you have and is the tank planted?

Knowing those things will help us to give you the best advice :)

Lets assume the power will go out. Do NOT feed heavily prior to leaving as this will just produce more waste that will not be filtered. If possible, do a partial water change of up to 50%. Just before you evacuate, you should install a battery operated air pump and air stone OR air driven sponge filter. You might remove any sponge material from your filter and place in the tank (to better ensure the survival of beneficial bacteria). Since you're in the south, you most likely won't need to insulate the tank to prevent heat loss. In the north we would wrap with a space blanket and cover with a blanket.

Alternatively, depending on the stock level, I might prep a 5g bucket with that battery operated air driven sponge filter, seeded with bacteria from your tank filter. Along with a spare heater. Taking them along may be impractical but better ensures their survival in the event the power may be out for an extended period.

I hope the storm passes and on the other side, you merely have stories to tell!

Last edited:
As most of you know there was major flooding where I live not long ago and I lost a tank because of it.

If your tank will be inundated and you have time, Bag the fish up and take them somewhere for safe keeping ( a friend with an aquarium ) this will have to be pre arranged. If you cant re house your fish then Im afraid they will be lost If flood waters enter your tank.

Lets assume the power will go out. Do NOT feed heavily prior to leaving as this will just produce more waste that will not be filtered. If possible, do a partial water change of up to 50%. Just before you evacuate, you should install a battery operated air pump and air stone OR air driven sponge filter. You might remove any sponge material from your filter and place in the tank (to better ensure the survival of beneficial bacteria). Since you're in the south, you most likely won't need to insulate the tank to prevent heat loss. In the north we would wrap with a space blanket and cover with a blanket.

I totally agree with this.

Top 6 Battery Powered Aquarium Air Pumps - The Spruce

I got a small Honda petrol generator, Theres enough juice to keep my tanks TV and the fridge running, Warm fish cold beer and TV .

Luckily I am not really in a place prone to flooding and my tank is on a 2nd story so I am not really worried about that. The main thing I am worried about it just losing power for a few days. Since it is still early on we don't know if we will evacuate so I was thinking about getting a battery powered air pump in case we decide to weather the storm out here. If I get the air pump and we decide to leave is it best to just turn it on before I leave just in case the power does go down?

More Tank Info:
20 Gallon Medium Planted
Stocking:
1 dwarf honey gournami
4 cory cats
10 neon tetras

Don't know if this matter but everything is full grown except the gournami which is about half grown at the moment.

If I get the air pump and we decide to leave is it best to just turn it on before I leave just in case the power does go down?
I would recommend something like this.
If the power goes out, the Azoo Battery Backup Air Pump will continue to supply oxygen to your aquarium. It runs continuously on 110V (standard household voltage), switching automatically to battery during power loss, then recharges when power is restored. Features two modes: High runs for 10 hours continuously on a fully charged battery. Low runs for 20 hours intermittently, 50 seconds on and 50 seconds off.

Azoo Battery Backup Air Pump

Also remember while these things are useful they are limited to how long they can run for by battery size. and the power may not come back on for days, we were without power for 3 1/2 days some places were without power for 11 days.

Most reactions

Back