Prehistoric Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Francisco

Reaction score
Hello my friends...I have a question or disscusion? Do you guys know of or have a fish which looks prehistoric like. 1 that is cheap, freshwater, and not that big.....but still look like a prehistoric creature.

What size tank are you willing to maintain? Would you be able to feed live food (not feeder goldfish, those have a chemical that is damaging long term, but most other feeder fish are fine, but things like white worms and what not)? What type of money do you want to spend? Sorry, but your original post is pretty vague...

What size tank are you willing to maintain? Would you be able to feed live food (not feeder goldfish, those have a chemical that is damaging long term, but most other feeder fish are fine, but things like white worms and what not)? What type of money do you want to spend? Sorry, but your original post is pretty vague...
agree plus

Water parameters, is your water soft or hard?
Are you considering tank mates?

What size tank are you willing to maintain? Would you be able to feed live food

Like a 20 gallon 1, I might get a bigger 1 later on. I might be able to feed them worms or something cause I was actually considering live foods for my other fish. I was also willing to maybe spend less then a 100$ maybe even 50$

Most marine fish look the same as their ancestors in fossils from hundreds of millions of years ago. So technically any marine fish is going to look prehistoric. However, there are some fish species that are literally ancient, Coelocanthus, Lepidogalaxias salamandroides and Birchirs. The Coelocanthus is marine and grows huge and you will never see one alive. Lepidogalaxias are small and rare and hard to find because they are only found in a few small lakes in the south west of Australia. Birchirs are sometimes available at petshops and would be the best choice assuming you have tank space.

For a 20 gallon, I know a few oddballs, not all are going to look super prehistoric.
Your best bets for a prehistoric looking fish are these, though some require extremely advanced care: Thalassophryne Amazonica
Also Monocirrhus polyacanthus, Carinotetraodonlorteti, mottled sculpin, African muskipper, African freshwater pipefish, banjo catfish, African leaf fish, Dwarf Climbing Perch and potentially an African butterfly fish. If you're going to get a 20 gallon, go for a 20 long

Some oddballs:
Wrestling halfbeak
Wimple piranha
Dwarf Pike Cichlid
Compressiceps Cichlid

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back