Pregnent mystery snail?

J CZA

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 snails in my tank and they both were chilling at the top of the tank... witch they normally didnt do and I didnt pay much attention to. Tonight the snail finally left the top of the tank and was laying on the floor of the tank slightly open. I found a maroon colord thing on my filter so I removed it, it looks like a deformed egg thing. Is my mystery snail ok? Its been laying (not moveing or anything) on the floor of the tank. Is it pregnent? I can post a photo of the weird sack thing.

Snails are both male and female at the same time. Mystery snails breed and then lay a cluster of creamy white coloured eggs just above the water on the coverglass or plant leaves.

To see if your snail is alive, touch the operculum (the trap door they use to seal themself inside their shell). If you gently pull the operculum and the snail does not instantly pull it back and try to close it, the snail is dead or dying.

If the snail is unwell or dead, then something is wrong with the water. It could be a chemical like copper or fish medication, or ammonia or nitrite from a filter issue.

How long has the tank been set up for?
Does it have a filter?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you use a gravel cleaner to clean the substrate each time you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the water before adding it to the tank?
Have you put anything in the tank in the last week, medication, ornament, anything?

Check the water chemistry for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH and post your results here. If you don't have test kits take a glass full of tank water to the petshop and get them to test it. Write the results down when you get them and post the results here.

I would also do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean now. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Snails are both male and female at the same time. Mystery snails breed and then lay a cluster of creamy white coloured eggs just above the water on the coverglass or plant leaves.

To see if your snail is alive, touch the operculum (the trap door they use to seal themself inside their shell). If you gently pull the operculum and the snail does not instantly pull it back and try to close it, the snail is dead or dying.

If the snail is unwell or dead, then something is wrong with the water. It could be a chemical like copper or fish medication, or ammonia or nitrite from a filter issue.

Does it have a filter?
Do you use a gravel cleaner to clean the substrate each time you do a water change?
Have you put anything in the tank in the last week, medication, ornament, anything?

Check the water chemistry for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH and post your results here. If you don't have test kits take a glass full of tank water to the petshop and get them to test it. Write the results down when you get them and post the results here.

I would also do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean now. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.
I had a snail do this before and I put em in a cup so if it died it wouldent kill my fish... the snail died. I dont know why or how. My fish lost a scale or 2 so i added 10 drops of bettafix in the 10 gallon tank. The tank isnt dirty.

Does it have a filter?

I tapped the snail and it closed... so, not dead. And I only added 9 drops for a pint of bettafix. It didnt say to remove other tank inhabitants

sounds like the snail didn't like the medication. I would move the snails into another container with some clean dechlorinated water and see how they go.

sounds like the snail didn't like the medication. I would move the snails into another container with some clean dechlorinated water and see how they go.
I can do that, should i do a waterchangs tomorrow and add the snail back? And do you think the snail is just pregnent?

I would leave the snails in a separate container of water until you have finished treating the fish. Then do a couple of big (75%) water changes and complete gravel cleans before putting the snails back in the tank.

If you have 2 adult/ mature snails then they lay their eggs a short time after breeding. It's impossible to tell if a snail is carrying eggs.

Have you got a spare plastic container or bucket that holds 5-10 litres of water? If you do, then put some tap water in that with a double dose of dechlorinator and stir it up. Then put the snails in that.

If you can't do that then do a 25% water change on the tank and see how it goes. The smaller water change will dilute some of the medication but it should still work at the lower dose rate. And lower dose of medication won't affect the snails as badly.

If you have 2 adult/ mature snails then they lay their eggs a short time after breeding. It's impossible to tell if a snail is carrying eggs.
I only added 9 drops, and it said that was for a pint. I think it didnt like the strong order. I found a egg, it was maby only 2 and it was in the filter and It dried up. I think it was a failed attempt of eggs. There are only a nerite snail and a mystery snail in the tank.

Snails can be very sensitive to chemicals. It might only take 1 drop of a chemical put into a 100 litre tank that can stress or kill the snail. There was something in the medication that the snails didn't like.

Mystery snail eggs are hard and creamy white. And you get a number of them glued together into a clump of cream coloured eggs.

Most other snails lay jelly clusters with eggs in them, and they lay the eggs underwater.

No sure about nerite snails because I have never kept them.

Last edited:
Snails can be very sensitive to chemicals. It might only take 1 drop of a chemical put into a 100 litre tank that can stress or kill the snail. There was something in the medication that the snails didn't like.

Mystery snail eggs are hard and creamy white. And you get a number of them glued together into a clump or cream coloured eggs.

Most other snails lay jelly mashes with eggs in them, and they lay the eggs underwater.

No sure about nerite snails because I have never kept them.
Yea, illl just do a water change tomorrow. Thanks for the help, goodnight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back