Pregnant Tiger Barb?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bobross

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

In my 20g, I have 9 tiger barbs that all appear to be happier than ever. Well, I've been noticing that a couple of the tiger barbs have been getting sort of a ''swollen'' tummy lately. Again, all of the fish seem to be doing excellent as far as their actions' in the tank. So I thought that maybe these two barbs are pregnant? Is this possible? Or are tiger barbs nest builders?
If it matters, I've been noticing that several of the barbs have been showing more red than usual. Like, red around their lips & nose & also all the way along the back of their dorsal fins. I was thinking that maybe they were the males and that was what they did when they were 'breeding.' Can anyone confirm what's going on with these fish? Are they pregnant or are they sick?

Wasn't sure if this was a beginner question or not :blush: , but thought this section of the forum would be a good place to start.

Thanks in advance,

BobRoss

hi
i've just had a quick look on the net and found this.........
house a number of barbs in the aquarium,they should pair off
when they do the female lays eggs,then the male follows behind
and fertilizes them,the fry hatch in 5 days
and you feed them brine shrimp until they are big enough
to eat bigger food.
the males have red faces.
hth a bit,

thanks ephie,

that does help me some since it lets me know what to look for as far as mating. I'm thinking that all of this will take place shortly if I'm understanding it correctly. I keep thinking either all of the mating/rituals has taken place already and the two are getting bigger before they release all of the eggs OR they have some sort of disease causing them to appear bloated. the "swelling" of these two fish' bottom side doesn't seem like they are bloated but ... pregnant rather.

I guess I haven't paid that much attention to the tank to notice any odd mating ritual from the male( I read it about an hour ago on another site) and haven't really noticed m/f pairing off. Q. if the two pair off, for how long? minutes? hours? days?
Feeling a little dense about it, I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed any of this taking place.

I'm kind of bad at describing things sometimes, but does the description (of appearance) make any sense?

Thank again,

BobRoss

hi
lol i think it's probable that they are showing mating behaviour.
although to be on th esafe side,maybe feed some veg,
incase they are constipated maybe.

If thier scales look protruted out like a pinecone/pineapple they have dropsy and will almost always die of it.

Provide leavy plants such as cambomba for thier eggs to stick to.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back