Pregnant Tetra?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kairi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have a feeling my buenos aires tetra might be pregnant... either that or she's eaten way too much the last couple days. here's a (poor) picture of her from today. she's swimming normally, her crankiness has subsided, and she seems to enjoy the company of her tank mates a lot more lately (which is strange, she's always been the one to harass all the other fish). if she is pregnant, do i need to do anything special? what do i do once she lays the eggs?
dscn23131lo.jpg

Tetras don't really get pregnant. The eggs are fertilized after or while they are laid. She looks like she could be holding eggs but its not the best picture to tell because of the angle.
If what you're meaning by "do I need to do anything special?" is whether or not you have a moral obligation to ensure any fry would survive, my opinion would be no, you don't. They are just eggs and probably won't be fertilized if you don't encourage it.
If you are meaning that you are interested in breeding them that a different story. There are relatively few species that would have a successful spawn in a community tank and as far as I know, there are no tetras that would be able to do this. They do not care for their eggs or their young. Most of them just scatter the eggs around and leave them, or even eat them themselves if they can find them. You'd have to talk to someone who has bred buenos aires tetras or do a search on google to see if you can find an account of it, because I have not researched this particular tetra.

No, I have no real interest in breeding them- it was just strange she was so "fat" all of the sudden. Pregnant mollies is one thing- a pregnant tetra (or any egglayer for that matter) I was at a loss with what to do.

Thank you for the info.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back