(Pregnant) Platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gavril

Reaction score
I have been waiting for about 5 weeks since my female platy showed signs of pregnancy, her gravid spot started to develop. Recently, I moved her into my fry tank to give birth but she seems to be withholding her fry. I checked the water and all the nitrates and ammonia are 0 so I am a bit concerned. Her gravid spot has gotten a lot bigger and darker since I first noticed it. The spot seems to fluctuate in size as some times it is very big but sometimes it can be slim. But recently it seems to be remaining big and dark as of the past few days. I will try to get a picture but can someone help.
fishhh.JPG

She doesn't look big enough to be near to giving birth to me, although if she's young, she won't get as big as an older female.

I would forget about the so-called 'gravid spot'. Unless you're very familiar with fish anatomy, you'll most often be seeing a part of the fish's digestive system :)

What you want to look out for is the fish 'squaring off'. That means she'll develop a really boxy looking shape, with her belly having almost corners, especially at the front. Once that happens, they usually give birth within 24 hours or so.

If your fry tank is big enough, and has a cycled filter, you might as well leave her in there to settle in. Make sure she has as high quality food, plenty of water changes, and plenty of hiding places :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back