Pregnant Platy or just fat?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

One_Phat_Pleco

Reaction score
Hello! I had 2 Mickey Mouse Platies in my 90g for about 3 months. I moved them to my 44g about a month ago and one of them suddenly looked like it was really fat. I know she is female because no gono. (duh). I have bought a breeder box just in case but should I use it? Also, will the Platy eat her babies?
And if the Platy is pregnant, when will it give birth (its been fat/pregnant for about 2 weeks now).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HrYIVhfZ40d39nJS-5RitA-jXvbWTjZt/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Don't move pregnant livebearers into small containers. It stresses them out. Leave her in the main tank and have lots of plants (including floating plants) in there. She will give birth when she is ready to do so.

If she is well fed and there are lots of plants she will leave the babies alone.

You can use a small plastic container to scoop the babies up and put them in a breeding net or another tank to grow up.

Ok but what will I do about the male platy chasing her? Get another female platy for him to bother or just move him? Also, I only have plastic plants in my aquariums because I am not allowed to care for live plants (*cough* *cough*). I am planning to get duckweed and a floating separator so it won't obscure the light but I can't find any.

If you have a spare tank move the male platy into that and keep him separate from the females. Then once a month or so you can put him in with the girls for a few days before moving him back into his bachelor tank.

Plastic plants are fine for livebearers to give birth in. They just need somewhere for the babies to hide. If you can find plastic plants with fine leaves, you can let the float around and the babies will hide in them.

The best floating plant is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It grows on the surface as a floating plant but can also be planted in the gravel and produces a lovely light green bush.

Ok I'll try to move the male to my 90G and once the female gives birth I'll move him back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back