Pregnant platy.. Confused fish owner

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bronny96

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the freshwater fish tank world.. Not really sure the types of fish I have as I got the tank with the fish from a friend.

I think my platy might be pregnant but I only noticed today and she has been pooping a lot, at first the poop was orange and now it's changed to a darker colou (sorry for the details). I have considered the fact that I could be over feeding but im sure I'm not...
I have a 40l tank with about 14 fish in. My platy is black with a greenish glow to it so it's hard to see a spot (I read that I would see a spot that would indicate if it's pregnant).
(deep breath) Anyways, can anyone maybe help me out with what could be wrong?

Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forum! Can you post a picture of her? Try feeding a little less. Pregnant platies will have a wide, box-shaped belly, and if you slim down on feedings, it will be easier to tell.

If the fish is doing dark coloured poop that is fine and simply from the colour of the food.

If the fish does stringy white poop then that is an issue (usually intestinal worms or an internal infection). If the fish does stringy white poop and is eating normally then it is worms.

If the fish stops eating and does stringy white poop then it's an internal bacterial or protozoan infection.

Thank you guys for the reply.. She seems to be a bit more smaller than yesterday but I don't know if that's because I've been keeping an eye on her the whole time. I fed them a bit less this morning (felt bad).
I asked a mate who has owned fish for a while and she said it does look pregnant and then I also went to a pet store which agreed.

I'm trying to upload a photo of her but it says it's too large? Maybe I could set it as my profile picture and if it's not a problem you guys could have a look there.

And thank you so much for you help so far.

Set the camera's resolution to the lowest setting and the images will be smaller and should fit on here. If they still don't fit, put them on an image hosting website and copy the link here. We can then go to the other website to view the image.

Okay it working.. Thank you.
Another thing, is this a platy? I feel like an idiot for assuming it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20190108_145203.jpg
    IMG_20190108_145203.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 175
The black fish in the picture looks like a swordtail but could be a platy. Many years ago swordtails and platies were crossed with each other to get new colours. This made platies a little longer than their wild ancestors and some swordtails are shorter than their ancestors. But it looks like a swordtail to me.

Hmmm interesting.. Thank you for letting me know..
Could she be pregnant or am I just a feeder?

@Colin_T this is a photo from last night.. She seemed a bit bigger here than this morning

Attachments

• fish 2.jpg
    fish 2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 169
the picture "fish 2" looks more like a platy. Same fish different pictures, ahh I wish people didn't hybridise fish :)

If it is a female platy or mollie, then it is almost certainly pregnant. Live bearers are almost always creating more fish. You will soon likely be swarming with fish. Don't bother getting those basket things that "help" them save the babies. Platys and mollies usually need no help surviving in large quantities. As in, you won't know where to put them all.

the picture "fish 2" looks more like a platy. Same fish different pictures, ahh I wish people didn't hybridise fish :)
Ahh the struggles... It's cool I'm sure she is okay.
Thank you for your help

If it is a female platy or mollie, then it is almost certainly pregnant. Live bearers are almost always creating more fish. You will soon likely be swarming with fish. Don't bother getting those basket things that "help" them save the babies. Platys and mollies usually need no help surviving in large quantities. As in, you won't know where to put them all.
Thank you..
I bought a breeding box but it feels more cruel than just letting the fry's/fry fend for themselves.
But as soon as anything changes I'll just pop a post about it.

The fry immediately swim to the bottom and hide, so they don't need the protection of the box. If you can get your money back for the box, it may be worthwhile.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back