Pregnant or bloated?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

brian.saylor

Reaction score
I have a powder blue dwarf gourami that seems to be either pregnant or bloated. My problem is, some are telling me it's a male, some are telling me female. It's been "fat" for about 10-14 days now (give or take). It seems to be staying in the calmer water near the heater, opposite the filter and is extremely calm.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer?
d9efeaca1a9c465cc68722ff0c14feb1.jpg
b8e21be8d47dc0bda5eb08df29ccb0e0.jpg
d13fb7e71f75f62c134a83b4e10afb34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It is a female fish.

How quickly did it get fat? If it ballooned up overnight or within 24 hours then it is bloated. The fish is also emaciated, you can see it is skinny behind the back of the head, and the top of the head is not normal shaped.

If it got fat over a few weeks it could be eggs but it doesn't look normal to me.

Last December I had a Dwarf Powder Blue Gourami die from bloating.It was a slow and painful death.I was going to replace him but after doing a little research it seems they are prone to this decease
IMG_0436.JPG

Dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius) are one of the fish I try to avoid at all costs. They are so screwed up from inbreeding and diseases they contract in Asia, they simply are not worth the effort of keeping. They carry an Iridovirus, tuberculosis, and various other ailments they get from the fish farms in Asia. If you can get locally bred fish, they will be fine but nobody breeds them locally so your best bet is to avoid them. And that includes the colour varieties of dwarf gourami.

If you really have to have them, then put them in a quarantine tank without any other fishes and leave them there for at least 1 month, preferably 2 months. And keep them there unless they look absolutely perfect and have no issues at all for at least 1 month. That way you hopefully won't be adding diseases to your main display tank.

However, Tuberculosis can live in a fish for months or even years and then suddenly the fish balloons up and dies. And the Iridovirus can flare up any time. So even 6 months after you have had the fish, it can get stressed and die from the virus.

If you want a small gourami look at sparkling, Indian banded or some of the more unusual Bettas but avoid common dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius) and their colour variants.

It is sick, I had 2 that looked exactly like that. Chances are it has dropsy. Best thing to do is isolate them in a sick tank and put in some doses aquarium salt. I was able to save one of two, but it took about a month. The sooner it's treated the greater the chance of survival.

Chances are it has dropsy. Best thing to do is isolate them in a sick tank and put in some doses aquarium salt
DO NOT use aquarium salt to treat dropsy.

To treat dropsy you need epsom salt dips.

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your

DO NOT use aquarium salt to treat dropsy.

To treat dropsy you need epsom salt dips.

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your
My apologies, you are correct. I should have been more specific, it is Epsom salt.

I also have a similar issue I have two dwarf thick liped honey gouramies one Male one female they have a varied diet they eat allot of green algae omega one premium pellet food frozen micen shrimp and blood worms and lots of hydra she has been bloated almost sence I got her 4 months or so ago she is just now seeming sluggish but honestly not really

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180422-085315_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180422-085315_Gallery.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 4,458

Most reactions

trending

Back