Pregnant Molly Sitting On The Bottom?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AnimalHouse36

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased 1 pregnant molly, and a gourami to add to my 10 gallon tank with 2 other mollies.

Today, the pregnant molly is just resting on the bottom and only moving when forced (when the gravel vacuum got to close). I don't know what it could be. The Gourami and my other mollies are fine. please help!

There's a black dot in the middle of it? Is it normal behaivior for her to be sitting on the bottom?

no offence but one time mine was pregnant and then she was on the bottom like yours all day and she died! :sad:

the black dot is a gravid spot, it isnt the best sign but if it shows she is likely preggers as is your case. Se how she goes, most livebearers get very antisocial and hide when about to give birth so watch out!

+1, my uncles did the same.

dont see how this is an emergency?

I do remember that happening alot when i was starting in the hobby.At the time i had no idea and got really scared.
That kind of behaviour in some cases is a sympthom to disease.But personal experience and since its a molly we are talking about i also think its down to pregnancy.
To add to that you just said you purchased that same molly yesterday,so to had to the stress of giving birth that fish is also adapting to a new tank water and environment.
But like i said some diseases have that behaviour so if any change in fish happens let us know.

I wasn't sure if she was sick or going into labor. I couldn't get a clear answer. I thought this qualified as an emergency. Sorry I'm new here.

Thank you all so much for your help! I hope shes going into labor and not sick! I've been checking the tank periodically to make sure there are no babies.
I have two filters in the tank and turned one of them off to limit the flow.

I wasn't sure if she was sick or going into labor. I couldn't get a clear answer. I thought this qualified as an emergency. Sorry I'm new here.

Thank you all so much for your help! I hope shes going into labor and not sick! I've been checking the tank periodically to make sure there are no babies.
I have two filters in the tank and turned one of them off to limit the flow.

I wouldn't do that.The bacteria in that filter will most likely die and you will have to recycle it again.Ok you have 2 but is the other one enough to support your tank alone? a decrease in water quality now will not help your fish or the babies.

[/quote]

I wouldn't do that.The bacteria in that filter will most likely die and you will have to recycle it again.Ok you have 2 but is the other one enough to support your tank alone? a decrease in water quality now will not help your fish or the babies.
[/quote]

It's a 10 gallon tank with enough filtration for a 20 gallon tank. Both filters have established bacteria so I thought it would be okay to turn off one of them. Should I turn it back on? It's only been off for an hour or so!

Yes I'd turn it back on; fry create a lot of waster for their size.

If your worried about the flow can you trun it so it faces the side or back of the tank? Or put a spare piece of filter floss or sponge loosely over the outlet?

I have a female platy, and she always sits in the back of the tank under my plants for about a week before having babies. I really wouldn't be surprised if that is why she is antisocial. When she spawns, take pics! :)

Yes I'd turn it back on; fry create a lot of waster for their size.

If your worried about the flow can you trun it so it faces the side or back of the tank? Or put a spare piece of filter floss or sponge loosely over the outlet?

+1 you can also try stockings.

She's barely moving at all. She looks like she's dead. My other molly acted like this a couple days before she died. :sad:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back