Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Pregnant Molly Sitting On The Bottom?!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by AnimalHouse36, Aug 19, 2011.

1. AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36 Member

Yesterday I purchased 1 pregnant molly, and a gourami to add to my 10 gallon tank with 2 other mollies.

Today, the pregnant molly is just resting on the bottom and only moving when forced (when the gravel vacuum got to close). I don't know what it could be. The Gourami and my other mollies are fine. please help!

2. Fishy friend2

Fishy friend2 I Love Betta Fish!!!! They Are My Favorite Fish

look at the mollies anal fin is there a white dot near it she could be close to dropping

3. AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36 Member

There's a black dot in the middle of it? Is it normal behaivior for her to be sitting on the bottom?

4. catfish4ever

catfish4ever Member

no offence but one time mine was pregnant and then she was on the bottom like yours all day and she died! :sad:

5. Blubble37

Blubble37 Ohai dere c:

the black dot is a gravid spot, it isnt the best sign but if it shows she is likely preggers as is your case. Se how she goes, most livebearers get very antisocial and hide when about to give birth so watch out!

6. volleyg08

volleyg08 Member

My guppy slowed down quite a bit right before she gave birth so maybe that is the case with your molly as well

7. Blubble37

Blubble37 Ohai dere c:

+1, my uncles did the same.

dont see how this is an emergency?

8. Aquamaniac

Aquamaniac Member

I do remember that happening alot when i was starting in the hobby.At the time i had no idea and got really scared.
    That kind of behaviour in some cases is a sympthom to disease.But personal experience and since its a molly we are talking about i also think its down to pregnancy.
    To add to that you just said you purchased that same molly yesterday,so to had to the stress of giving birth that fish is also adapting to a new tank water and environment.
    But like i said some diseases have that behaviour so if any change in fish happens let us know.

9. AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36 Member

I wasn't sure if she was sick or going into labor. I couldn't get a clear answer. I thought this qualified as an emergency. Sorry I'm new here.

Thank you all so much for your help! I hope shes going into labor and not sick! I've been checking the tank periodically to make sure there are no babies.
    I have two filters in the tank and turned one of them off to limit the flow.

10. Aquamaniac

Aquamaniac Member

I wouldn't do that.The bacteria in that filter will most likely die and you will have to recycle it again.Ok you have 2 but is the other one enough to support your tank alone? a decrease in water quality now will not help your fish or the babies.

11. AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36 Member

[/quote]

I wouldn't do that.The bacteria in that filter will most likely die and you will have to recycle it again.Ok you have 2 but is the other one enough to support your tank alone? a decrease in water quality now will not help your fish or the babies.
    [/quote]

It's a 10 gallon tank with enough filtration for a 20 gallon tank. Both filters have established bacteria so I thought it would be okay to turn off one of them. Should I turn it back on? It's only been off for an hour or so!

12. fluttermoth

fluttermoth The current Mrs Treguard ;)
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

Yes I'd turn it back on; fry create a lot of waster for their size.

If your worried about the flow can you trun it so it faces the side or back of the tank? Or put a spare piece of filter floss or sponge loosely over the outlet?

13. Dieses Madchen

I have a female platy, and she always sits in the back of the tank under my plants for about a week before having babies. I really wouldn't be surprised if that is why she is antisocial. When she spawns, take pics! :)

14. Blubble37

Blubble37 Ohai dere c:

+1 you can also try stockings.

15. AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36 Member

She's barely moving at all. She looks like she's dead. My other molly acted like this a couple days before she died. :sad: