Pregnant Molly. Help?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mythonis

Reaction score
One of the black mollies my LFS sold me was pregnant. I have no interest in keeping or raising fry and would like advice on what to do. The pregnant fish is also bullying every other fish in the tank, chasing them all over the place (no actual injury done yet, though sometimes it looks like she's trying to bite the other fish in their faces if they don't move fast enough). I would really appreciate some advice if you could please.

Not sure which tank info is relevant here so have lots:
29 gallon tank, planted, sand substrate, HOB filter. Water temp 79F, pH 8, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates ~10ppm. Currently housing: 3 black mollies, 2 marbled(?) mollies, 1 angelfish (mollies and the angelfish are currently all ~2.5 inches and all female as far as I can tell), and 1 bristlenose pleco (~3 inches). Tank was cycled for 5 weeks prior to adding fish, environment is stable, fish have been in the tank ~2 weeks. Last water change was a 25% done 4 days ago (added Prime and Stress Zyme).

Molly's and swordtails are the kings of the livebearers. they are 2 of the largest types of livebearers so their will be some fighting with the smaller fish. so now down to the questions 1. how do you know she is pregnant? with black molly's it's hard to tell because you can't see the gravid spot. 2. Is she squared off? if she is the fish should be born in the next 24-48 hours. 3. If you dont want to keep they fry just let her give birth in the tank and you can watch the little baby's get eaten before your eyes by the cannibal mother and other fish. 4. If you chose to do what I suggested in number 3 there's a chance a couple or all of the fry will live if you have lots of plants in the tank and always keep the fish full of food. hope I helped
fish.gif
 and p.s. it never hurt any body to save a couple baby fry
innocent.gif
  from the sounds of it they could be your ticket to free fish after they have grown up. Also your fish will keep having baby's for the next 6 months and if you have a male molly your female will mate with him and then you will have baby's every month till she dies good luck:) if you have any more questions feel free to ask me
walkman.gif

I can tell she's pregnant because she's got a huge belly and looks exactly like every picture google image search turns up for "pregnant black molly." She's also acting pregnant, staying low and hiding whenever she's not chasing the other fish or eating.

I only have the one 29 gallon tank and it's already stocked to full with my current fish. I don't have room for "free fish" so I can't keep the fry.
I don't have any males, how could they keep having babies for 6 months with no males?

When they mate they can hold sperm up to six month so that means you get baby's for 6 months. Sometimes they want have them for 6 month but their is a good chance she will have them agin if she doesn't die during the berthing.

Hi, if you have no interest in raising fry them do nothing!
Most will be eaten and those who are not will have the means and ability to survive anyway.
I must say this is the first post where someone has no interest in the fry;)

If I had other tanks I would keep the fry. But I don't and I'm more interested in keeping the fish I have healthy and with enough space to be happy than I am in keeping baby fish for fun when I don't have the means to care for them properly. It's the same logic of if I'd brought home a cat that I found out was pregnant, I'd be finding homes for kittens and trying to ensure kittens don't happen again, not trying to keep 14 cats in an apartment. It just seems like common sense to me and in the best interest of the animals.

um.... I wouldn't say it the best interest for the animals.......because you're letting them just get eaten by the other fish. How would you like it if your mother left you in a room full of hungry cannibals when you were born?

I'm gonna agree with snork on this one. I do not feel that its in the best interest. I understand completely where your coming from, but do you have any friends or relatives who would take the gry off you?

Molly's and swordtails are the kings of the livebearers. they are 2 of the largest types of livebearers so their will be some fighting with the smaller fish. so now down to the questions 1. how do you know she is pregnant? with black molly's it's hard to tell because you can't see the gravid spot. 2. Is she squared off? if she is the fish should be born in the next 24-48 hours. 3. If you dont want to keep they fry just let her give birth in the tank and you can watch the little baby's get eaten before your eyes by the cannibal mother and other fish. 4. If you chose to do what I suggested in number 3 there's a chance a couple or all of the fry will live if you have lots of plants in the tank and always keep the fish full of food. hope I helped
fish.gif
and p.s. it never hurt any body to save a couple baby fry
innocent.gif
from the sounds of it they could be your ticket to free fish after they have grown up. Also your fish will keep having baby's for the next 6 months and if you have a male molly your female will mate with him and then you will have baby's every month till she dies good luck:) if you have any more questions feel free to ask me
walkman.gif
Could u help with my forum plz http://www.fishforums.net/threads/can-any-one-help-are-my-fish-pregnant.443200/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back