Pregnant guppy?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ry4n7

Reaction score
Eta on the fry? Sooner rather than later surely?
b9d04a89444e3c6343299a98701b458e.jpg
f7b227aada590bb48756c0ab0b99cf04.jpg
6313c9bf764702f21f8cf024b43215df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Soon.

Make sure you have lots of floating plants in the tank for her and the fry.

Don't move her into a breeding net/ trap, just leave her in the main tank. Moving her now could induce a premature birth.

And no big water changes now either, not until 1 week after she has given birth. :)

Thanks, she's been in a separate tank for a couple of weeks now. Figured it would be easier to move her back to the other tank rather than trying to catch all the fry. I don't have any floating plants as such but a few fake tall 1s that come out above the water for them to hide in?
Soon.

Make sure you have lots of floating plants in the tank for her and the fry.

Don't move her into a breeding net/ trap, just leave her in the main tank. Moving her now could induce a premature birth.

And no big water changes now either, not until 1 week after she has given birth. :)

You can let plastic plants float instead of putting them in the substrate. It does the same thing.

Try not to move the female back into a tank with males for a week after she has given birth. This will give her a chance to recover before being harassed by males. And try not to handle her with a net for a week after she has given birth. Use a net to push her towards a container and scoop her out in some water. If she is well fed she should ignore the babies :)

Brilliant. Thanks. I actually have a bar a bottom tank as it's just to bring the fry up until I can move them. I'll pull some of the plastic plants out of the weights from the 1s I don't use:)
You can let plastic plants float instead of putting them in the substrate. It does the same thing.

Try not to move the female back into a tank with males for a week after she has given birth. This will give her a chance to recover before being harassed by males. And try not to handle her with a net for a week after she has given birth. Use a net to push her towards a container and scoop her out in some water. If she is well fed she should ignore the babies :)

Wondering if my female guppy is pregnant and what to do if she is

Attachments

• IMG_05741.jpg
    IMG_05741.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_05751.jpg
    IMG_05751.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 323
Wondering if my female guppy is pregnant and what to do if she is

You can safely assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time.

You don't need to do anything special (fish have been having babies for a very long time without human assistance ;) ), just the usual good, clean water and feeding.

If you want some of the fry to grow to adulthood, then add lots and lots of live plants to the tank, so the fry have somewhere to hide; I'm afraid the parents, as well as any other fish in the tank, are quite likely to eat the little ones, if they see them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back