Pregnant Guppy? (Picture)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

skremsner

Reaction score
Photo-0212.jpg

Is my Guppy pregnant? Her Name is Honey. I have only had her about 2 weeks but she has gotten huge. She was hanging out by the filter earlier, and chasing away any fish that came near, so I put her in the breeder trap. But I was just wondering if she is indeed pregnant, or just chubby? And if she is pregnant, how long untill she will drop her fry?

She looks like she is squared off already...this happens when a guppy is extremely close to dropping and looks like she has "corners" on her belly...I'd say she is extremely close to dropping..especially if she is being solitary and hiding away from the other fish..when my late guppy looked like this, she had her babies withing hours.

Another suggestion, I would definately take her out of the breeder box...if you really want to save the babies, or if she is getting stressed out by the other fish trying to chase her for a fresh snack (sad, I know) then wait until you see her actually dropping the babies to put her in...it will just stress her out.

P.S. are all of your water stats okay? If you save the babies, do you have a home for them so your fish population doesn't go out of control? Because let me warn you, these things breed like RABBITS!

Good luck!
Meg

+1 on what meggie says, althought I think rabbits are a little more conservative as far as the bedroom antics. My best advice to you, because she is defo preggo, is to not intervene unless you have a large tank with a plan for the fry. They will drop about once a month and each drop will probably be 30 babies plus.

Ok, so this morning I got up to look at her and her gravid spot is not black anymore it is lighter. How do you tell if the guppy has aborted the pregnancy? I really hope this isnt the case. I have a bigger fish tank that I am getting ready to switch all of my fish over to and I am going to have a 10 gallon nursery plus a 3.5 gallon for emergencies. Their color is also looking a little pale. What could this be? I just treated them for ick every night for 3 days, and the last dose was Saturday. Could this have had an effect? The ick is gone by the way.

You really shouldn't depend upon the gravid spot...it's better just to go by her shape and size...maybe post up another picture and we can help you out?

Are you separating the males and females in the future? Because even if you move them all to a bigger tank, they are still going to breed...but I think that goes without saying.... :p

Edit: sorry I didnt see the last part....first of all IME, ice should definitely be treated for more than three days....as for the paleness, the first thing I would do personally is do a water change and test the water....what is your water change routine?

Female guppies can keep pouring out babies months after being fertilized initially, so prepare for lots of fry. If you're not planning to breed and sell the fry, I'd just let nature take its course. You're really stressing out the mother by putting her in a breeding trap.

I had guppies for a long time, and what I did was just leave the mom where she was (in the tank that had just females) and when she'd start delivering babies, I'd suck up the fry with a turkey baster and put them in the nursery tank. When they got big enough to not be eaten, they went back in the tank with either the boys or the girls. Worked great.

I'd suck up the fry with a turkey baster and put them in the nursery tank. When they got big enough to not be eaten, they went back in the tank with either the boys or the girls. Worked great.

Thank you! I couldn't remember who gave me the tip about the turkey baster.
Best piece of kit I've bought.
It's great for sucking bits of stuff out of the tank, & saving any babies I wanted to save

I use mine for lots and lots and lots of things! Couldn't live without it!
biggrin.gif

Me too, it's great for my edge as can't get any decent gravel vac to do the job, the baster is brilliant, just shove it in the gravel & it sucks up all the gunk.
I bought several as back ups lol

I love my turkey baster too! I just leave momma in the tank and suck up the babies when they come near the baster! Works great...

PS- Bought my first baster from the local dollar store... yea it didnt work worth a darn... but the one I got from Kroger works great!

I think I got 4 for a dollar or something like that! Love them, for SO many things!
lookaround.gif

Wish this post had been around earlier. I could have sucked up the little fry we found. I only saw two of them today and since my platies are dramatic anyway, we have no idea which female dropped them. Turkey basters! hehe

Another option is a simple siphon made from a piece of air tubing. I have saved many egg layer fry by sucking them up with air tubing into a small container then moving them to an empty tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back