Pregnant guppy being nipped

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KezCookie

Reaction score
Hello, I currently have 1 female and 2 male guppies (I had more, but unfortunately they died). The single female is very heavily pregnant and I suspect she's due any time now as she's finding it difficult to swim and quite frankly is blown up like a balloon. Due to not being able to swim properly, she's an easy target for the 2 males, who are constantly nipping at her and just generally mithering her. After a long debate with myself, I decided to place her into quarantine for her own safety as I thought the stress of the move would be better in the long run as one of my previous guppies met their demise from constant pestering and I didn't want this female to meet her end in the same way. She did not take this move well, let me tell you. She started trashing around the little Tupperware box I put her in for the time being and stopped after a few minutes. Currently, she's floating still near the surface. Was this the right call or should I place her back into the main rank with the other males? I don't really care about keeping the fry if that changes anything, my tank is borderline overstocked as is.

All help appreciated,

Kez.

I forgot to include a photo:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 422
She's the only female in a tank with 2 males. They will harass her nonstop for mating, even though she's pregnant. The same can be said for female platies and mollies that have too many males in the tank. They will stress her to death. You can keep her in quarantine or get a breeder net so that she is still in the main tank but she, and her fry, will be safe from the other fish.

Can you give us a bit of info?
Water parameters. Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph, Ammonia, and Alkalinity?
Size of your tank?
What stock do have altogether?
Is your tank cycled?

I did a water check and all was well, the tank is 48 litres (about 10 gallons) and currently has: 3 guppies, 2 swordtails, 2 corys, a pleco and several guppy fry from a previous batch in a little nursery (some are quite big, a few more weeks and I think they'll be big enough to go into the main tank).

Oh and also, I was forced to put her back into the main tank and out of quarantine as she was lashing violently around and really didn't look happy, however since doing that she is constantly swimming with her head facing down vertically, and as I'm writing this I she is just staying at the bottom of the tank with her head in the gravel...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 250

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back