Pregnant Bettas

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

peacockbetta

Reaction score
How long do pregnant bettas stay pregnant? I'm not breeding her so I'm just letting it run its course.

One of my betta girls got full of eggs shortly after I got her. I think she dropped / passed some of them because I saw some floating slime bubble strings. Then she got slightly thinner after that, but never slimmed all the way up like the other girls.

Lately she has been getting kinda big again and rests / hides more than the others on the plants in the tank.

Does anyone know how much longer she will be pregnant? Should I do anything to help her?

Well, first, for clarification, Bettas do not get "pregnant". They are not live bearers. They are spawners. (This means they lay eggs and the males fertilize them. In the case of the Splendens and other Betta species, the daddies care for the babies.)

What have you been feeding her, and how often? Perhaps you are accidentally "conditioning" her, which will cause her to become egg heavy. How long has this been going on? It is a possibility she is egg bound, but I am not certain of what methods you can take to fix the problem. I can find out with a little research once I am more awake. :)

Sorry I don't have enough info, but good luck with her!

does she have a little white spot on her ovipostor, that indicates she is carrying eggs :)

The white spot, or the oviposter, is there regardless of whether or not they have eggs. That is how you identify them as female rather than male. (Fin size sometimes helps, but I have seen short finned males and long finned females, so..) you need to check for the presence of the oviposter to tell whether or not they are females, not whether or not they have eggs, at least from my understanding of the species. I haven't NOT seen the "white spot" on any female that was actually female, regardless of whether she was egg heavy or not.

20171026_071006.jpg

Don't know if she is pregnant or not never had pregnant fish before so any info would be gratefully received

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back