Pregnant, And Not So Pregnant Balloon Mollys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KieranP

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
iv had one of my balloon mollys just give birth to 3 fry, and another looks very pregnant.

i have 3 balloon mollys and as far as i was aware all female! im pretty new to this but i sexed them by looking at the shape of the anal fin,
and they are all the same shape!

the only other thing is that i did have 3 male guppys in the tank, 2 have since died :(
would it be possible for these to breed with the mollys?
or have i just sexed them wrong

sorry no pics, as no camera good enough to get any half decent photos!!

they can still give birth to fry evan they havent mated witha male for a couple of mounths they store the sperm so they where probaly pregnatnt when you brought them

ooh ok yer that would make a lot more sense, im not going mad! does this mean that they will continue having more fry, mt tank wont take may more!!

they could carry on for a couple more months but you can probaly just give them to your lfs if you need to get rid of them

ok thanks very much! yer i have a few friends that will most likely have 1 or 2, im not going to be feeding them anything specific and there is a redtailed black shark in the tank now, so will this limit their survival chances?
sorry for all the questions, this really suprised me!!

anythink will eat them evan there mums there so small there seen as food but aslong as theres some plant and things they can hide behine some should be ok

yer plenty of hididng places, moss balls, and convientiently placed filter should be ok then!
thanks for the advice!

yh some should mange to hide ive still got about 12 fry from my guppy from about 5 days ago and there was only about 15 to start

Congratz on all the fry! It sounds like you just chose already pregnant fish.

This gal has had 2 drops in this tank and has not seen an adult male the whole time. As has been said, they can store sperm and produce new drops of fry. This has been reported to last as long as 6 months with no adult male in sight. She has a fry from the first drop in the picture with her.

Mama42_1024.jpg

Here are some of the fry. The new ones are in the background and the older ones are a bit blurry in the foreground.

SmallFry1024.jpg

Can I have some more pics of the mother. I'm thinking of getting one. Any tips?

That color is called creamsicle and is readily available. The tail shape is called a lyretail but she is not a very good lyretail. The male that I want to get fry from has a much nicer tail. I am working with some other people here to post up a thread in the near future showing stages of a pregnancy, she is my model so there will be lots of pictures of her at various stages of her pregnancy in that thread. In the meanwhile, I have put up many pictures of her in individual threads like this to illustrate a point here and there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back