Preg Guppy With No Males

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

blaha

Reaction score
I have a tank that started with 3 guppy fry and 3 molly fry. All 3 guppies were female and the mollies had 1 male and 2 females. One of the mollies gave birth and I now have 4 fry in a 10 gallon(sold the others.) Now it looks as 2 of my female guppies are pregnant. One has gotten considerably bigger. Now I know that molly guppy cross breading is hard and I had no intention of cross breading them but what are the chances that I have a guppy pregnant by a molly?

I have a tank that started with 3 guppy fry and 3 molly fry. All 3 guppies were female and the mollies had 1 male and 2 females. One of the mollies gave birth and I now have 4 fry in a 10 gallon(sold the others.) Now it looks as 2 of my female guppies are pregnant. One has gotten considerably bigger. Now I know that molly guppy cross breading is hard and I had no intention of cross breading them but what are the chances that I have a guppy pregnant by a molly?

A guppy cannot get pregnant from a molly. A guppy can only get pregnant from endlers and other guppies. Female guppies, and other female livebearers can store sperm and have up to 7 births from only mating with one male, once. The chances are that your guppies have mated with males before you received them and have stored the sperm. Thus the reason why you have pregnant females without having any males. Congratz anyway. :good:

one of my older guppies gave birth to the 3 I have, since I did not catch the birth only 4 survived then 1 died within a week. These 3 females have been in there own tank since birth and there only tankmates have been mollies

A guppy cannot get pregnant from a molly. A guppy can only get pregnant from endlers and other guppies. Female guppies, and other female livebearers can store sperm and have up to 7 births from only mating with one male, once. The chances are that your guppies have mated with males before you received them and have stored the sperm. Thus the reason why you have pregnant females without having any males. Congratz anyway. :good:

Not true. I had a Dalmation Male mate adn produce fry with my Black Delta Guppy. This was several months ago. I have no idea where this fsih went, btu i hope it is still alive as i sold it. Here is a pic:
golly5.jpg

That is the best one i have. You can see both mooly and guppy properties of this fish. It is full grown, at around 1 inch. Also, have you ever seen a all white guppy, with some orange in it? She gave birth to this, and a whole bunch of still borns( plus a few orange/ black delta's). Also, livebearer's can store sperm for up to 7 batcches of babies.

Krib wow :) what do you call it?

the females were they every mixed with males because they can store sperm for a long time

A golly. It did have babies, but i was never there to witness the event. I was at Church Camp, or My uncles when she gave birth eeach time( pregnant by a black molly). My little bro( 11), said that each time, the babies were orange( awsome color's!), but they were born dead. He did say that one time there were a few alive, but he didnt feed them and they died. Also, the female ate all of the dead ones( i am guessing the live ones if she was in there the whole time).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back