Pre-filter question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phil Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
On my 5.5 gallon Betta tank I currently have a Top Fin HOB filter with a Fluval pre-filter sponge on it's intake tube to help slow down it's output stream. So far it works marvelously. My question is: Since I am using this pre-filter do I still need to use the filter cartridge that is used inside the HOB filter? Obviously it would save me money if I don't need to keep replacing them. The HOB filter also comes with a plastic bio filter which of course I will keep using. Also I know I need to rinse the pre-filter every water change in tank water and it's reusable.

Knowing from your other thread that you intend plants in this tank, I would, once they are growing, disconnect and remove the filter. For a Betta, which prefers a pond or swamp-like habitat, and with live plants, there is no need for a filter. Or, if a filter for water clarity is needed, a single sponge filter is ideal.

Last edited:
Knowing from your other thread that you intend plants in this tank, I wold, once they are growing, disconnect and remove the filter. For a Betta, which prefers a pond or swamp-like habitat, and with live plants, there is no need for a filter. Or, if a filter for water clarity is needed, a single sponge filter is ideal.

Ok that's exactly what I was going for in term of having plants helping with filtration. Yes right now the filter is doing an excellent job of keeping the water clear but if in the long run it's not necessary I will remove it once the plants have grown in and the water tests good.

Using plants as a filter is very achievable, most of my tanks are built like this, but you have to make sure you have some kind of sponge plant, eg anacharis, Pennywort, hornwort, anything that has visible daily growth. You have to test your parameters really carefully for a solid two months to make sure everything is stable.
As for the original question, you shouldn't be removing the cartridges each month, just rinsing in old tank water, not tap water. The prefilter sponge is a great mechanical and biological filter though, so if you want to get rid of the cartridges all together, let it run at least three weeks before chucking the cartridge.

I would replace your cartridge with reusable media. Ceramic rings and sponges will work.

I would leave the current cartridge in for now, add the reuseable media to the filter and let it all run together for 3-4 weeks. Then remove the cartridge and add more reuseable media.

Excellent help as always!

The Top Fin HOB instructions suggest replacing the filter/carbon cartridge with a new one every month. I was wondering if because of the pre-filter if the cartridge filter was redundant. I wasn't going to replace it but just rinse it out with tank water. I have only been using the Fluval pre-filter for about a week so after two more weeks I will just use the pre-filter and some biological media in place of the carbon/filter cartridge.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The only reason they say to replace is it because the carbon no longer works at that point, so I just cut out the carbon and keep using it. You'd have to cut it out anyway if you needed to medicate the tank or dose fertilizers too.

If I was using a filter that used cartridges, I would replace them with with sponge and or ceramic thingies. Thus increasing the area bacteria can collect and grow. No doubt cartridges are more expensive than the two materials I've mentioned.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back