Prairiesunflower's Betta: Firefly (Bought June 13, 2014)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Introducing teeny little... Firefly!  I had already forgotten how small bettas are when you first get them!  Firefly looks about half the size that Riley was.

I found him this afternoon.  I was so tempted to get a mettalic blue betta but I just had a feeling something was "off" with that one.  Firefly was completely full of spunk and flared at my finger when I wiggled it next to the glass. 

It doesn't really show in any of my photos, but the light colored scales and the light lines on his tail and fins is sort of an iridescent greenish color.

I think that short bit of his tail got nipped while he was sharing a tank at the LFS, he was housed with some kind of tetras that I didn't recognize.

This is the weird thing about him... when you look at him from the front like this... his body looks a lot more light colored than it does if you look at him from any other angle.

If I walk away for awhile and come back to see how he is getting on... this is what he goes and does... apparently he seems to be scared by the fact that I didn't cease to exist when I went away for a bit.  LOL  Takes a good 5-10 minutes for him to come out again when I am watching.

Awe so pleased, he's great, and what a fab name!

Is he a crowntail?  He doesn't seem quite as jagged as I see in pictures but he definitely has irregular edges.

Very nice 
smile.png
I think he may be a combtail, crownxveil it's difficult to see with all the nipping he has sustained, once the fins regrow I'm sure we will see 
smile.png

You think he has been nipped too then?  I am quite sure the really short bit is nipped but wasn't too sure if other bits are nipped as well, but I suspected.  All the edges looked nice and clean and there looks like a shadow of clear regrowth starting there.

I think these fishies are very cool might need to get some once my bigger tank is up and going keep my balas company :) would need to see what other fish couldbe put in with them

Oh Firefly is lovely, Prairie! Glad you managed to find another one!
His tail does look a bit uneven in places so he may well have been nipped. If you want to give his healing a boost and help him chill I can heartily recommend Easy Life's Catappa X (IAL extract) along with the usual frequent water changes he'll need to prevent infection.
He'll soon get used to you peering into his tank - he's still finding his bearings at this stage. He'll be greeting you with enthusiasm soon (especially at feeding time! lol)

I'm drooling here, absolutely love him (one of these days, I'll get myself a red Betta, oh boy), and love the name too! It suits him so much! :)
He may have been nipped, or he could be a tail-biter. Not sharing a tank with tetras will surely calm him down. 

Maybe a delta tail? His fin shape seems to fit the bill. Very likely some fin nipping.

Well you are right.... he has calmed down completely already and was waiting at the glass before I turned the light on.  He even got the idea right away that I was pointing at his pellets so he could find them... I thought I should since there were so few pellets and he might lose them amongst the duckweed (not so much duckweed at the moment as about half of it died when I was medicating my previous betta).

I will look into getting what you suggested, Mamashack, to help his fins grow back.  They look promising though as the edges are clean and some of it has clear bits already.

He is obviously very happy this morning.

Glad he's settling in, Prairie!
Altho you can, I don't use the Catappa X all the time only when there's a problem like recently when mine got his tail shredded.

June 14, 2014.... Day 2.

Fully settled in and feeling confident.... so confident that every photo I have tried to take this morning looks something like this.... Firefly mere millimeters from the camera lense.... I do not have a good enough camera to make that work!  LOL

He's a bit of a diva now then! lol
(Can males be divas??)

Almost, Divo for males.  LOL

He is spending all his time going back and forth at the front of the tank waiting for anyone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back