Power Head/air Pump (New Tank)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Alexp08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Im setting up a new tank and i bought a power head for it to better move the water. Well it has a spot for a air pump to be hooked up, so i did. Im not sure if i like it. My main question is whether have air bubbles is good for a tank, also were having a air pump is needed in a tank. So basically should i leave the air pump attached or should i move it to a air stone, or neither. Lastly do i leave the power head on? Benefits/disadvantages etc. Thanks

Like i said, its a new tank. So please dont judge the bareness of the tank. lol

Oh its going to be a low tech planted tank, if that matters.

Thanks 

If you don't like it, get rid of it. It's not doing that much other than aesthetically so it won't be a problem. Movement on the surface of the water is a more effective way of getting oxygen in to the tank anyway so just ensure that your filter outlet is pointing just a little upwards and that will be fine. 

Alexp08 said:
Im setting up a new tank and i bought a power head for it to better move the water. Well it has a spot for a air pump to be hooked up, so i did. Im not sure if i like it. My main question is whether have air bubbles is good for a tank, also were having a air pump is needed in a tank. So basically should i leave the air pump attached or should i move it to a air stone, or neither. Lastly do i leave the power head on? Benefits/disadvantages etc. Thanks

Like i said, its a new tank. So please dont judge the bareness of the tank. lol

Oh its going to be a low tech planted tank, if that matters.

Thanks 
lets talk aboot the poster in the first picture.. sorry it caught my eye..

Okay change to a different mode. I put it in water circulation mode. I believe the box says 500gph. Is that too much for the fish? I will have cardinal tetras and some rams. 

And yes the poster is of a girl wearing a very low cut shirt smoking a cigar!

I can't remember where I read it but apparently it is best to keep the bubbles from an airstone (or other bubble-providing system) away from the corners of the tank. According to the article I read it is possible for the bubbles to cause cavities in the sealant holding the sides together over a period of time. How much time and whether or not this is true I can't tell you but just in case, I make sure my bubbles don't run up the corners of my tank.

Most reactions

Back