Powder Blue Gourami

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Queen Bee

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 45 gallon tank, established with an assortment of gourami in it.

Last few weeks I noticed a small lump appearing on the side of the powder blue gourami. He shows no signs of being uncomfortable and has still got a desire for food. Jumps out of the water at feeding time. No unusual behaviour at all.

This week the lump on one side appears to be larger and reddish. It does not look like the skin is broken or any worms protruding out of the lump. The other side of him remains the same size lump. Looks like the lump on the sides are at the same location, just bigger and redder on one side than the other.

No other fish in the tank are showing any signs of lumps. (10 other fish) One of the moonlight gourami looks like someone took a huge bite out of his lips though. This happened a couple of days ago. He also shows no signs of distress.

What should I be treating for? Could be flesh worms maybe? Do I treat the whole tank, or move the powder blue to another tank and treat him only? I have a fry tank which is established and the fry are ready to move to larger tank. I could put the powder blue in here.

Here are some pictures of the sore

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

Unfortunately gourami are rather prone to bacterial infections.

Could he have gotten into a fight with your other gouramis and could these be battle wounds? the same goes for your other injured fish is there more than one male in the tank?

If I were you I would give him a salt bath and treat the tank with melafix and see of the wound heals.

Yes, there is an assortment of males and females.

Thanks for the advice, the wound on the powder blue gourami appears to be an open wound now, I will pull them out and treat them together in a hospital tank.

Most reactions

Back