Potential Betta fish companion?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AllNighter

Reaction score
So, I've had my boy for a while now, and he's always been by himself, (he is also the first Betta I've ever had) but lately I've been thinking it would be nice to have something in there with him. Especially if it will help clean up his tank a bit. I really don't want another fish in there, and much of the online research I've done concerning non-fish companions has been conflicting and confusing, so what are some more "expert" recommendations for a companion? A plus would be easily attainable and reasonably inexpensive. Thanks for any and all help!

I have a nerite snail with my betta. There are several species of nerite, some bigger than others. As my betta's tank is just 26 litres (6.9 gallons) I have one of the smaller species.

My betta does flare at the snail when it is on the glass - to the fish it must look like an invader swimming into his territory. But that's all he does, flare at it.

How big is your tank?
What sort of substrate have you got?

How big is your tank?
What sort of substrate have you got?
I believe my tank is 7 gallons, or 8, it's shaped funny, so it's weird. And I chose to use a variety of smooth stones, they look prettier than gravel.

I have a nerite snail with my betta. There are several species of nerite, some bigger than others. As my betta's tank is just 26 litres (6.9 gallons) I have one of the smaller species.

My betta does flare at the snail when it is on the glass - to the fish it must look like an invader swimming into his territory. But that's all he does, flare at it.
I have seen several people recommend snails, but I've also been told that even if you only buy one, that your tank can explode with baby snails. Is that true?

I have seen several people recommend snails, but I've also been told that even if you only buy one, that your tank can explode with baby snails. Is that true?
That's true with some species of snail. The nerite snail can't breed in the home aquarium as the eggs need brackish water to hatch.

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

True up to a point.

Take Malaysian Trumpet snails for example, These guys are not a fish keepers enemy, They are our friend.
Yes the population can explode, but only because there is lots of food for them to eat,

Please read this
Malaysian Trumpet Snail

Melanoides tuberculata

By: Ryan Wood

The Malaysian Trumpet Snail is a great to have in any aquarium. There are some with different patterns, shapes, size, dark or light colored. It is a beautiful snail to see up close in person. In some forums as well as blogs the Malaysion Trumpet Snail is instead used as the acronym MTS.

There is a lot of bad rep that all snails have received. A lot of hobbyists tend to think that having any type of snail in their aquarium is horrible and all must be removed immediately. There are even chemicals that are solely meant for killing snails in the aquarium. I highly recommend that you never use any chemical meant to kill snails in a tank with shrimp. Snails are not bad for your aquarium. Overfeeding your tank is what causes snail outbreaks. Most snails will actually leave your plants alone and instead eat the algae off of the leaves as well as glass. Do not think that a snail is a pest, they can be extremely useful in any aquarium.

The Malaysian Trumpet Snail is actually a benefit to any aquarium for several reasons. It will not eat your plants at all. This snail also will not "muscle" your shrimp off of food meant for the shrimp. The Malaysian Trumpet Snail feeds on detritus and leftover food that is underneath the substrate. It actually burrows in the substrate and moves around throughout. You will rarely see this snail during the day. Occasionally it will emerge from the substrate. A cool thing is that sometimes you will see the substrate move and you will know that there is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail underneath doing its cleaning duties.

The fact that this snail burrows and eats detritus is an excellent perk to having it. Another great perk is that while it is underneath the substrate moving it is at the same time aerating the substrate. Substrate aeration is a great benefit to planted aquariums as it promotes air exchange and root growth. They will not disturbed any plant roots or move wood/rocks around your aquarium.

The Malaysian Trumpet Snail reproduces live young and does not lay eggs. They can reproduce rapidly however. Rapid reproduction is a sign that you either need to feed your inhabitants less or vacuum the gravel extensively. You do not want to rely on this snail to do all of the gravel cleaning. High temperatures can also result in rapid reproduction if coupled with overfeeding.

This snail is an all around must have for most aquariums. They are very cool to look at, extremely docile, do not eat plants, aerate substrate, eat detritus, and do not harm other inhabitants. I highly recommend this snail to anyone.
Source http://www.planetinverts.com/malaysian_trumpet_snail.html

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back