Post You Snake Head's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah got mine from Col Nelly. He is a private breeder Simon from a different site, Nelly put me onto him. Feel quite bad actually I havent been to his site hardly at all since I finished uni. I was gonna start doin some research an stuff with them but havent had much time. I will soon.

These are around 6/7 inches pretty much full grown. Definately a pair as i said. Got the water level down to around 10" over the last 3 weeks then I'm gonna top up at around 6" in another couple of weeks and I think that may just induce the breeding.... Hopefullty anyway

Mine have gone a much darker colour now too than the first couple of pics. They were taken not long after I first put them in so hadnt totally settled. I will try an get some better pics tomorrow an more updated.

Yeah got mine from Col Nelly. He is a private breeder Simon from a different site, Nelly put me onto him. Feel quite bad actually I havent been to his site hardly at all since I finished uni. I was gonna start doin some research an stuff with them but havent had much time. I will soon.

These are around 6/7 inches pretty much full grown. Definately a pair as i said. Got the water level down to around 10" over the last 3 weeks then I'm gonna top up at around 6" in another couple of weeks and I think that may just induce the breeding.... Hopefullty anyway

Mine have gone a much darker colour now too than the first couple of pics. They were taken not long after I first put them in so hadnt totally settled. I will try an get some better pics tomorrow an more updated.

is that Colb off the snbakeheads site? A very useful chap who seem to know everything bout channa

is that Colb off the snbakeheads site? A very useful chap who seem to know everything bout channa

The very same m8. Seems like a good bloke, very knowlegable too.

just fed them again... used susage tongs to grip the worms :D then all i saw was a lot of bubbles coming from the fishes faces.. so i reckon they could have been hungry :lol:
cant beliveve i stood and lovingly chopped up apple this morning to feed the worms

some pics of my elusive Orientalis
189-2.jpg

191-2.jpg

190-2.jpg

239.jpg

great fish these couldn;t recommend them highly enough

couple more of my pulchra
232-1.jpg

236.jpg

228-1.jpg

231.jpg

:lol: look at the stinking dirty look hes giving you in pic 6 haha,
stunning fish, how many have you got in total now, and whats in together?

managed to get a big tub of meal worms ( dead) from the range for£3.99 - so if anyone wants these live ones, let me know and ill post them out, ill keep them fed till monday then off to the garden they go :D

can u explain why your taking water out?

I think it must relate to a dry season in the wild which must induce hormones to induce breeding. I was told that removing water slowly over the weeks and then in one shot add it all back gets them to breed. I just added my own theory to it about the hormones. Presumably just means that where they live in the wild goes through a dry spell, losing water. As the rainy season starts they begin to breed. I am just trying to replicate that :good:

yes mate, that's what i hear from col, It where they come from when the dry season arrives it means no food/no water so they won't spawn, when the wat season hits it kickstarts a new wave off like for everything, food and lots and lots of space to breed and swim,

:lol: look at the stinking dirty look hes giving you in pic 6 haha,
stunning fish, how many have you got in total now, and whats in together?

I know the cheeky fecker!!!

I've got three Orientalis, 2 Asciata and 4 Pulchra now and they are all in their own tanks. Going to devote a good bit of attention to them this weekend get the tanks spot on with more hidey holes and see what happens

The pulchra are my favourite although I have a soft spot for the orientalis as the pictures don;t produce how coourful they get when dsplaying, the asciatas are new but i love them already

There are about 30-35 species in two genera:

Genus Channa
Borna snakehead, Channa amphibeus
Northern snakehead, Channa argus
Channa asiatica
Channa aurantimaculata
Channa bankanensis
Barca snakehead, Channa barca
Rainbow snakehead, Channa bleheri Vierke
Channa burmanica Chaudhuri
Channa cyanospilos
Channa gachua