Post Count

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think thats the problem with many fish forums. People assume that a high post count equates to in depth knowledge and in some cases (members of this forum not included obviously ) people who have a high post count think that their words should carry more weight.

For instance, While doing some fish related research last night I came across a popular forum and happened upon a discussion that started out as one thing but ended up in a debate about ammonia at 0.25ppm being acceptable to fish. The person advocating that 0.25ppm was ok for fish had inadvertently admitted that their fish die often but insisted that the ammonia was not the cause. The post count of this member was in the thousands!

To be honest I think the post count should be removed. It serves no purpose and can give newcommers the wrong idea.

I agree micko, I think the join date, the 'dots' accumulated and the random titles given are more than enough already.

That's said, it's sometimes useful to know if someone is only on their first few posts, and hopefully it prevents people going "YOUR FISH ARE DEAD COS YOU DIDN'T CYCLE YOUR TANK SO RETURN YOUR FISH AND BUY SOME AMMONIA AND AN API TEST KIT!!!" at them, scaring them off before they really even get going!

Haha i despise the insta-replies that appear on the forum, like the test kit one. Its like people have a single keyboard button that with one press can type what you said. The "i want a plec" question always draws the " buy a bn plec" insta-response, and it stops so many newcomers exploring the endless plec possibilities. Irritates me.

I dont know, I've only been paying attention to my own post count because now i can change my member title :good:

I see people with 7-8000 odd posts and wonder if they have a life off the forums and if they are really that chatty face to face, i picture them all as crazy chatty people :lol: because I really dont... and yet my post count isnt that high.

I dont reply to every single post though, i think more about what i say, if my opinion is the same as someone elses than i wont bother adding my reply... or if someone is looking for an ID on a species and loads of people reply after its been established what species it is with "+1" which i just think is completely pointless and it really irks me lol.

If i dont have something usefull to say, i dont bother saying it. Sometimes i go away and think about it and by the time i do, the post i was going to reply to has dissapeared into the ether.

In terms of other people... its more what they say but i am more likely to read a post asknig a question from a regular member than someone saying "i have a new tank and..." kind of posts.

Im awful i know but i deal with it all day at work and crave more interesting topics :p

That's said, it's sometimes useful to know if someone is only on their first few posts, and hopefully it prevents people going "YOUR FISH ARE DEAD COS YOU DIDN'T CYCLE YOUR TANK SO RETURN YOUR FISH AND BUY SOME AMMONIA AND AN API TEST KIT!!!" at them, scaring them off before they really even get going!

And that is why i dont reply to posts that have annoyed me because its purely people not listening or not doing research etc.. im not the right person to advise constantly on the same thing. I see the results of customers not listening day in and day out and then people post the same stuff on here and whilst its great they get better information... i wonder how many members would still be as calm and patient with people when they come in week after week after week complaining because their fish have died *yet again* despite you going over everything and wasting hours of your life trying to explain everything like cycling in 10 ways until they understand, write it down, draw pictures, write out day by day instructions... and ten they come in again saying their fish have died and can they get some more?

Bahhhhh

drivvel,mumble grumble, more drivvel..oh look another post :D
oh i'll edit as i'm a good girl! :D

when are we allowed to change our "title?"

No it doesnt.
Posting in general topic section does not raise your post count... I think.

It doesn't raise the counter to the left but it raises your profile counter.

Tbh I never look at them as post count is meaningless.
Some people seem to think it makes them look more knowledgeable, but after a while on here you can soon tell who knows their stuff & who's just regurgitating stuff they've seen online

It might better to record topics read. By definition, more knowledge acquired.
Although the content can't be measured.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back