Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

possible fin rot? or more?

Discussion in 'Betta Splendens' started by danae, Apr 15, 2019.

1. danae

danae New Member

Ive been away at uni for a few months and my family has been taking care of my betta. they sent me a video of her today and it seems like her fins are breaking. is this just fin rot? if so what should i treat her with?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

I would be more concerned about the belly and body shape than the tail.

I would say the fish has a growth in its body that is causing the swollen belly, bent back and general poor health, including clamped tail.

Check the water quality and maybe do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if that hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

If the fish is still eating, vary its diet.

I don't think there's much you can do apart from keep the water clean and when the fish stops eating, euthanise it.

3. danae

danae New Member

i posted about her body shape a month back when it first popped up, the person who replied told me it was a tumor or a cyst. if that is whats causing her fins to break is there no medicine or anything that i can treat her with to help with that?

4. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

If it's a tumour or cysts there's nothing you can do except keep the fish comfortable and euthanise it when it stops eating.

When tumours/ cysts get big, they put pressure on the other organs and reduce circulation. The body's immune system deteriorates and eventually the fish dies.

5. danae

danae New Member

okay, thank you for the help!