Position Of Inlet And Outlet Pipes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elaine128

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i read yesterday that its more beneficial to have both inlet and outlet pipes on same side if the tank,i`v got mine at opposite ends, i cant find the article i was reading,(shame i found it quite interesting)so i was wondering if anyone on here has their pipes positioned at opposite ends ,and why

I have two external filters.
the big one has the inlet on the far left and the outlet on the right.
The smaller one has both inlet and outlet on the right side.
This way i get good flow down the length of the tank, but have inlet pipes at both ends to catch suspended particles easily.

I have found all my exturnals work best with the inlet and outlet at opposit ends of the tank, as and dead zones in the tank are almot always at to opposit end to the outlet. Placing the inlet into a dead zone will suck the semi-stagnent water through the filter, so that clean oxygenated water from the rest of the tank can replace the water in the dead zone, thus removing the dead zone from the tank :good: You also get more dirt into your filter, thus you get better mechanical filtration. Less acumulation of junk in the tank also means less work for the biological filter.

All the best
Rabbut

That is interesting because i was wondering what to do when i get my second External filter. Do i just put the 2nd filter in the same as the other one. As in 2 inlets and 2 outlets side by side?

Regards

Gaz

That is interesting because i was wondering what to do when i get my second External filter. Do i just put the 2nd filter in the same as the other one. As in 2 inlets and 2 outlets side by side?

Regards

Gaz

i asked this question a while back and was told it s best to have the two inlets together and two outlets together as its best for circulation of water, also i supose if you do put them opp sides the clean water coming out is taken back in filter to be cleaned so it makes sense to have them same side. i have one inlet near bottom and other halfway up then the outlets one spraying across width and one spraying across length in same end of tank.
regards Angel

yeah i`m quite confused about all of this,i read that for planted tanks the spray bar should be at least an inch below surface,and its beneficial to have the inlet and outlet on same side so the spray bar forces water round the tank by circular motion and then into the inlet,i dont think i`m explaining this very well,god i`m thick :unsure:

You're not thick, this topic is more complex than people realise :good:

In short, positioning of inlets and outlets should realy depend on your set-up. What filter are you running, and what dimentions is the tank? Also, are you growing plants or is it all fake decoration? What substrate are you using?

All the best
Rabbut

I run 2 externals on my 120 Gallon. The inlet and outlet of each filter are next to each other in the two back corners of the tank.

You're not thick, this topic is more complex than people realise :good:

In short, positioning of inlets and outlets should realy depend on your set-up. What filter are you running, and what dimentions is the tank? Also, are you growing plants or is it all fake decoration? What substrate are you using?

All the best
Rabbut
i`v got a moderatly planted ,quite well stocked,(mainly rainbows)rio 240, tetratec ex1200,and fine black gravel,i dose with the easy life carbo range,very little algea,and although plants are looking ok i think they should be better and taller,but up till now i have had the spray bar going across the surface causing ripples,and the inlet and outlet on opposite sides,

Sounds OK :good: If you are trying to grow plants, I'd try to drop the outlet an inch or so to reduce surface agetation, unless your fish look to be suffering for it :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back