Poorly Swordtail

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mikaila31

Always Watching
Reaction score
About a month ago my 55gal tank came down this velvet I was able to treat it and only lost one fish. I also continued treatment for two weeks after all signs of it disappeared. During treatment and after I stopped my swordtail wasn't acting quiet right and her fins where all ragged. I thought that she was still recovering from the velvet so I gave her a week with no medication and when she didn't improve I treated her with melafix and primafix. This did help her fins grow back a little but she still looks sick. Her fins are still ragged, she is quite skinny even though she is eating well, and she spends some time resting on the bottom of the tank. I'm thinking she might have internal parasite, but any other ideas?

water stats:
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
about 40 nitrate
7.6 ph

thanks, mikaila31

Parasites like velvet can make a fish thin.
Check her anus to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.
Whats lt look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
To be honest the fish dosn't sound well and it sounds to late sorry.

Wilder, I don't think she is as bad off as she sounds. She seems very sensitive for a swordtail and seems to get sick quite often. I've boughten four of these swordtails and she is the only one that lived past the first two weeks :( . I've never been able to figure out what is up with them, I've had her for 3 years now and for some reason she always rests on the bottom. She will lay there for a couple hours at a time which always bothers me. Then when feeding time comes she flys to the top and eats as vigorously as the other fish do. She then swims around the tank for a few hours and eventually returns to the same spot and just sits there. She always uses the same spot to rest and only changes spots like 1-2 times a year. Would you have any idea why she does this?

Now back to the present, she is still eating and swims around sometimes. Her breathing is rapid and fins are still all ragged. I can't tell if her anus is inflamed because she is red in color. And I haven't seen her go to the bathroom for a few days which is strange because I've been giving her lots of hearty foods like bloodworms and some peas. She has mabey put on a little weight, but is still very skinny. I added some coppersafe and did a water change today. My water stats are the same as before. Here are some pics of her that were taken about a 1/2 hour ago.
lady2009.jpg

lady2002.jpg

this is what she normally looks like
tank020.jpg

Do you think she still has velvet,or something else?

She's not well.
Livebeareres are prone to internal parasites but it could be to late as they do alot of damage to the insides of the fish.
Have any of your fish ever had bent spines.

There to much going off with her i'm afraid she in a bad way.
Velvet can cause a fish to go thin, sounds like she has a bacterial infection on top of a parasite infestation.
I would add a bacterial med for now.
Not going to the toilet not good news either.
Keep an eye on the other fish check there anus over to see if there inflamed or swollen, and try and see what it looks like when the fish goes to the toilet.

Look at these symtoms as heavy breathing goes with velvet, being thin, and finrot.
http://www.goldfishinfo.com/identify.htm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back