Poorly Scissor tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

c1tyfc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my Scissor tails has starting swimming very erratically. He has lost all control and is upside down at the top of the tank most of time. Have only noticed this in last couple of hours.

I have caught him in the net and am trying to keep him away from other fish and the filter flow as this was stressing him.

Is it a swim bladder problem? if so what can i do? and what has caused this?

Thanks for any help :/

Yeah, I'd say some kind of swimbladder thing. I believe the cause can be major stress, bad water conditions, constipation, bacterial infection, or birth defect (or any combo of them). I've never had to deal with this, but from what I've read, it's often due to constipation so fasting him or feeding defrosted & shelled pea/s might help. If it's bacterial, a med might help, but I'm not sure how effective they are. Also, make sure your params are perfect & temp & pH doesn't fluctuate too much (very stressful). I've also heard that they can be "popped" with a needle into the stomach but.........well I wouldn't wanna try that one, too much could go wrong IMO!! Anyways, HTH, goodluck :) Michelle.

the main cause of swimbladder is conspitation, but other affects such as bad water quality, stress and birth defects like what queengumby said can play a role...
The best way to rid off conspitation is by feeding daphina......The treatments which you can buy can sometimes work but you can never really tell, the good side to them though is that they can also help prevent your other fish from feeling the effects of having a stressed fish in the tank and stop any others from becoming ill this way...

hope this helps in some way!

Thanks for your help. Don't think i'll try and pop him though. :blink: lol.

I have also noticed he has a red area where his dorsal meets his back, could this help anyone give me more advice.

Have checked params: Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 40-60ppm PH 7.

Bit worried about the Nitrate reading will do water change to try and ease it and will put my NitraZorb pouch back in the filter.

Good plan with the no popping policy :p Didn't think of daphnia, but yeah I think that does the same job as a pea, & he might like it better. The red spot - could he have hit himself on something when he was swimming around crazy? Or maybe it's a bit of a nitrate burn? I'm not sure what high nitrates can do, but I would assume burning could happen. Not sure how effective NitraZorb pouches are (I've never used one) but if you feel that works well, put that back in, or else just keep up with some waterchanges & keep an eye on it. Melafix might take care of the sore. Goodluck, keep us updated :)

Water readings better, Nitrate about 15-20ppm. His red mark seems to be slowly receding.

He is still in the net on his own, upside down. Although he can now turn himself temporarily the right way up.

Have tried daphnia, he wouldn't touch it. Will try a pea I think.

Been a week now, he's still upside down, water ok, he's showing no sign of illness(except his inverted gravity lol) please can someone advise. :( I am starting to feel sorry for the little guy. :fun: :wub: :(

Sorry to hear he's still sick :( I'm not sure if a bacterial cause of swimbladder disease would show other signs....I should imagine it would, but maybe someone else can advise you on that. But if he's still like it & you're fairly sure it's not constipation, I would think about treating for a bacterial infection. How did the pea go? How are the params going? If they're even a little out of whack get them right before you put meds in because that can be a cause too. Goodluck, keep us posted :)

Hi guys am concerned about one of my scissor tail fish it has a swallon tail and two red lumps eather side. Water perameters are perfect. Can anyone help me

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back