Poor Syd...not doing very well

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Frozen (but defrosted) bloodworms, brineshrimp and prawn/ shrimp are all usually taken. Prawn is the most nutritious, then bloodworms then brineshrimp. Some shops sells Marine Mix, which is a combination of prawn, fish & squid blended up and frozen into small cubes. Marine Mix is usually better than prawn alone but if you can't find it then buy some raw frozen prawns and keep them in the freezer. Take 1 prawn and remove the head, shell and intestine (thin black tube that runs thru the body) and throw them in the bin. Cut the remaining prawn into small bits and put them back in the freezer. Keep 1 bit out and use a pr of scissors to cut the prawn into small bits and offer a few bits at a time until the fish are full.

-----------------------
re: fish in pain. If the fish stops eating then it is usually past the point of return and that is when they should be euthanized.

Thanks again for the helpful information. I know my shop sells a variety of frozen foods for fish so I will check into it. What kinds of tetracycline based meds would you recommend? Is API General Cure one?

On the plus side he still has a good appetite. I fed him what I currently have which was a couple of tiny pieces of freeze dried bloodworms and a small pellet and he ate them immediately. This time I didn't soak the bloodworm pieces but they were so small he took them no problem. Last time I tried them I soaked them in water for 20 mins and he spit it out.

Also when changing his water there was a piece of his waste on the bottom and it was pale and not brown like it should be. He seems to have no issues with constipation though.

API General Cure contains Metronidazole that is used to treat internal protozoan infections in people and sometimes fish. And it contains Praziquantel that treats tapeworm in all animals.

Doxycyclene or Tetracycline are available from some pet shops around the world but each country has their own regulations about anti-biotics and some might require a vet prescription to obtain.

Other anti-biotics might also be available including Kanamycin, however, I haven't used that due to strict regulations controlling it here.

-----------------------
API General Cure and other anti-biotics work best when mixed with food and fed to the fish 3 times a day, as well as being added to the tank. They also kill filter bacteria.

When treating you need to treat for at least 1 week but not more than 2 weeks. If there is no improvement after a couple of days, then the medication is probably not working and a different one can be tried.

Anti-biotics work best in bare containers with no gravel, driftwood or live plants. This means the medication can work on the fish instead of being wasted on gunk in the substrate. I usually wipe the inside of the glass and replace 100% of the water in the tank each day before retreating at full strength. Some of the directions might be different and you can follow what is written on the packaging.

-----------------------
All the above listed anti-biotics are designed for people and not fish so should be used according to directions on the packaging and followed to the letter. Inappropriate use or mis-use of anti-biotics can lead to drug resistant bacteria that can kill people, fish, birds and any other animals.

I tested his water parameters and they are fine. Once again there is no filter in his bowl hence the water changes. I also use Prime conditioner in his water which will detoxify the water from ammonia for 48 hours.
He is going into a larger aquarium soon with filter and heater.
filters are a must!!! the BB will not grow without a filter, and the ammmonia will only sit there in the tank and eventually it will kill the fish, and the filter is where all of the BB is, no BB, No living fish. the water change is not a way around filtration!

filters are a must!!! the BB will not grow without a filter, and the ammmonia will only sit there in the tank and eventually it will kill the fish, and the filter is where all of the BB is, no BB, No living fish. the water change is not a way around filtration!

Yes I am aware that a larger aquarium with a filter is always the best option however right now the main priority is treating my Betta for his illness. This is only a temporary situation until he recovers. I do appreciate your input.

the only way to treat your betta so that it can still live, is with a filter in a cycled tank, no excuses, it is only the stubborn truth (litterally no way around filtration in this case)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back