Pond Heron Proof?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gillywibble

Reaction score
Hi,

Just after some advice on my pond. It is mostly netted but I have cut away some netting under the blade to prevent blanket weed accumulating on the net and reducing oxygenation/flow etc.

It is a relatively small hole but I am worried my fish will now be vulnerable to a heron attack, although I think it should be okay.

Any responses appreciated. Thanks.

2018-08-21%2017.37.21_zpsxh9wypct.jpg

2018-08-21%2018.21.42_zps4r4nvap7.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I don't think the herons should be able to get the fish. My only concern is if the heron is stupid enough to go under the net. They do that sometimes and freak out and you get feathers everywhere. But I think your fish should be ok, the section without netting isn't that big.

Your pond looks good tho, nice work with that :)

Living in an area with herons, I gather the best way to prevent them in garden ponds is to put up a fake heron. Most gardening outlets have them. Some people use an owl. The live heron will not approach a small pond (small as opposed to a lake or river) if they see another heron or an owl. I've never had to do this [I gave up on goldfish in my garden pond after the raccoon got the last bunch for the third time] but I gather it works. I do see fake herons beside many garden ponds.

I use a net. Yours will be just fine. If like me, you live in an area where there are a lot of leaves around you can use butterfly netting which is much finer and will keep the leaves out. You can still see through it.

My pond also has a wooden frame and I am seriously considering making a hinged frame for the top so I can just "open" the net for maintenance.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back