Pond Build Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BlackyMoory

Reaction score
Hi there! 

I found a really nice spot to build pond, but it would be 60 cm deep but could be raised higher if needed, The pond is for my 3 comet goldfish at least I think that's what they are! They are around 5 years old and 6 inches long :)

4%20live%20goldfish%20red%20yellow%20comet%20sarasa%20shubunkin%204-5%20inch%20koi%20pond.jpg

They look like the yellow goldfish, spotter goldfish and orange goldfish :)

I live in Ireland so would a pond heater be needed? The pond would be 360 litters roughly 120cmx60cmx50cm but because of it's odd shape it will be a little more! 

Thanks So much Everyone!!! 

Im no pond expert but im pretty sure a pond heater doesnt heat the pond it just prevents the surface from completely freezing over, in which case any pond would benefit from a pond heater in freezing conditions.

SLIM said:
Im no pond expert but im pretty sure a pond heater doesnt heat the pond it just prevents the surface from completely freezing over, in which case any pond would benefit from a pond heater in freezing conditions.

You are correct, would you know the coldest temperature my fish could live in?

Ponds are generally, if at all possible, built 6 feet deep. The reason for this is that the water gets a chance to drop into layers in cold weather and, due to the quirks of thermodynamics, water at 4C is heavier than any other form, so sinks down. You need about 6 feet of depth to keep this reliable and at that depth the goldies will survive all winter so long as the surface doesn't seal entirely. Lots of other things will also survive the winter in those ponds as well, giving you a healthier system overall.

If there's a way to dig down any further, then I would recommend it hugely, both for this and the water volume you get.

Other than that, you can get away with simply breaking the thickest ice in winter, rather than worrying about heaters, if you have the volume/depth.

Odd thing that. I have a floating horse trough deicer in mine. Now granted my pond is only 250 gallons, but it sits wholly above ground. The heat element usually ends up under the outflow of one of the fountains, and that probably has something to do with the fact that even when temps here dropped to 23°F for a couple days, the pond kept chugging along at over 40°F. It's kind of cool to look out the bedroom window when snow is falling and see it sitting there steaming.
Right now, we have a 250w K & H ultimate stock tank deicer.

I'm thinking that we might upgrade to a 750w model this winter, and see what the minimum temperature will be over 9 months.
You cannot see them in my avatar, however there are just over 4 meters of RGB LED tape in plastic tubing inset into a dado under the rim. That allowed my lilies to get a jump start on the growing season. I figure if I can keep the water at 65°F all winter, I can keep my Lotus in there as well.....

Ponds are generally, if at all possible, built 6 feet deep. The reason for this is that the water gets a chance to drop into layers in cold weather and, due to the quirks of thermodynamics, water at 4C is heavier than any other form, so sinks down. You need about 6 feet of depth to keep this reliable and at that depth the goldies will survive all winter so long as the surface doesn't seal entirely. Lots of other things will also survive the winter in those ponds as well, giving you a healthier system overall.

If there's a way to dig down any further, then I would recommend it hugely, both for this and the water volume you get.

Other than that, you can get away with simply breaking the thickest ice in winter, rather than worrying about heaters, if you have the volume/depth.
Sufficient water flow can keep enough area open to assure proper oxygenation in an Iced over pond. This is my backyard pond in December 2008. 4,400gph flow at the head. Three days later, there was ice 8 inches thick across the pond, but where the water entered was ice free about a foot around it...

Attachments

• 108149602XnhcXZ_ph.jpg
    108149602XnhcXZ_ph.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 375
They are fine in winter. I never allow the surface to completely freeze over. Remember in liquid form water stays at 0C and the temp will only drop once all of the water has frozen - even if it is a lot colder outside. The reason for not allowing the surface to freeze is to allow oxygen exchange

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back