Polystyrene Under A Tank- Update Please Advise

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
i really dont like the look of it under a tank, in fact i hate it.

if i have a 48x20x24 tank (8ml glass) and its on a Rio 300 stand (which incidentally fits the tank exactly, including the weight) do i need to use polystyrene under the tank?

would it be unsafe if i didnt?

what about something else, like carpet cut off's or something?

and why does it need polystyrene under it anyway?

please enlighten me!!!!

thanks

The idea of having polystyrene under the tank is for the tank to settle on if the stand is uneven or not level. If this is the case, it can cause stress on the glass that can be invisible until it's too late (i.e. all over your floor). Some aquarium manufactures like Juwel and AquaOne say in the aquarium instruction and maintenance guide that their tanks do not need to sit on any "padding". However, some people will go by this, others won't.

For instance, my AquaStyle 980 has a non-removable self-levelling pad attached underneath it, but it is not visible from the outer edges. Some tanks are like this, others not. What I have always done is put the tank and stand on a pre-levelled surface rather than under the actual tank. It looks neater, and is just as sturdy, as aquarium cabinets aren't usually designed to be weak and most state that you do not need to add polystyrene.

I am not sure about using other materials like carpet for this, but someone else may be able to answer this one.

But like I said, some people will live by the polystyrene rule, others won't. So I'd be prepared for varied opinions.

yeh, i guess i dont really want to be having this debate with myself with 300 litres on the floor!

but how comes glass cant just sit on the surface of a flat stand and not "stress" itself?

ultimately i know i am not going to risk it with nothing, just want to see if has to be polystyrene.

come to think of it, how many pictures of tanks do you see on the internet and they are sitting on polystyrene, or maybe i have never noticed them!

thanks for your feedback

I can't say I've seen any tanks sitting on polystyrene either. And like I said, I've never had polystyrene or anything under the actual tank - I just make sure the floor that it's standing on is as flat as it can be. The stands are designed to support and bare the weight of the full tank, but if it's seriously uneven, it can bend the stand leading to a slight curve in the glass under the weight of the water. I shove a spirit level down on the floor where my tank is going to sit and make sure it's as level as possible.

yeh, i guess i dont really want to be having this debate with myself with 300 litres on the floor!

but how comes glass cant just sit on the surface of a flat stand and not "stress" itself?

ultimately i know i am not going to risk it with nothing, just want to see if has to be polystyrene.

come to think of it, how many pictures of tanks do you see on the internet and they are sitting on polystyrene, or maybe i have never noticed them!

thanks for your feedback

even on an, apparently, flat surface there can be lumps and bumps. a raised nail head, or a knot that is not quite flat, would in theory increase the pressure on the tank at that point. as glass is a liquid, any areas of extra stress could turn into cracks, effectively breaking the surface tension of the glass. that said, i cant think of a tank i have seen with polystyrene under it. none of mine do!

This depends on the tank design. With a traditional design, where the sides are supported by the bottom, the styro does what boboboy said.

With the floating base design, the bottom is supported by the sides. If you have a thick enough layer of styro to put pressure on the bottom, you risk cracking the bottom. With these sort of tanks you need a stand where the perimeter is square & level, the middle does not matter, as it does not touch the tank.

You only need polystyrene (or similar) underneath a tank if it only has a bare glass bottom. If there is a plastic rim around the bottom then this is what is called a 'floating base', as the glass is not in direct contanct with the stand, and polystyrene would not be needed. Manufacturers such as Juwel make tanks with floating bases and that is why they say it is unnecessary.

edit: Tolak got there first :p

How do these floating base designs that are common now compare to the common (cheap) aquarium designs of 25 years ago? Back then there were large numbers (in the usa anyway) of glass sides with a flagstone base all wrapped in a silver frame of what appeared to be aluminum, narrowing toward the top and filled throughout each corner with black material. The material didn't have the silicon feel that the clear stuff does now.

Anyone care to generalize on how the current clear-corner tanks hold up compared to these old ones?

If i just get a black cutting of standard carpet that is the right length and width for the base of tank/stand, would this be adequate?

I think so, but wanted to float the idea about, want to do this today

hello teddybass!!!! i recognise that name!

If i just get a black cutting of standard carpet that is the right length and width for the base of tank/stand, would this be adequate?

i would guess so. will the insulation properties not be of use too?

Hello Master Bobo

It'll have to do, i want black carpet, going to go down the road now and see if they will cut me a 48x20 peice.

Hello Master Bobo

It'll have to do, i want black carpet, going to go down the road now and see if they will cut me a 48x20 peice.

Hi fry! lol, sound kinda catchy that!
shame your so far away. i have some of the close cell foam, about 1/4 inch, used as insulation when laying a concert floor. it would be right up the street you are on! but if you can wait, and are up for the experiment, i guess i could post a roll big enough for you. cant see it costing that much.

ps its black, well almost.

Cheers Bobo, but i just got myself a 48x20 black bit of carpet for £8

thanks for the offer pal

Hello mr Fry.
Hope the black carpet looks ok when you get it under the tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back