poecilia obscura?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaPonic

Reaction score
I was reading up on this fish and it seems that it is just a guppy? Am I missing something? Would they hybridized with Guppies? Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Agreed. Here is a link to the scientific paper describing this species, and while obviously technical, it does have some lovely colour photographs.
http://mapress.com/zootaxa/2009/f/zt02266p050.pdf

As the authors set out, there are now three distinct and valid guppy species. Poecilia reticulata, the familiar common guppy, P. wingei, the Endler (which is now "unequivocally defined by the molecular phylogeny as a valid species," and P. obscura. The very close relationship shown by phylogenetic analysis (DNA) indicates they would interbreed in the aquarium.

These three species are probably more correctly assigned to the sub-genus Acanthophacelus [erected by Eigenmann (1907)] since they are generically different from all other Poeciliinae. As it has stood, the genus Poecilia is also that in which the various molly species occur. The genus was erected by Bloch & Schneider (1808) with a molly, Poecilia vivipara as the type species. The guppy, P. reticulatus, when described by Peters (1859) was placed in this genus. As the above and the paper make clear, this is not a widely-held valid placement. DNA analysis clearly differentiates the three "guppy" species from all the mollies.

Byron.

I am looking for fish to hybridize with my Guppies in the near future and this and endlers livebearer would seem to work, thank you so much.

Why? Hybrids are bad. One should aim to conserve the original species with original properties.

I disagree that hybrids are bad. When you cross species you get more genetic diversity. A few domsticated species were done with hybridization. I think Endlers have some traits that could help my population. I think buying from breeders helps by having people breed them.

Most reactions

Back